It's Time

froggydella

Well, I think it is due time that Pebbles gets a new tank mate. :newfish As some of you know already Phil (my black moor) passed away a few weeks ago.

I am just in need of a few pointers to get me started. I just have a few questions about the size of the new fish etc......Here they are.

1. How long does newbie have to be in QT? / Do I treat the QT tank as a regular tank as far as cycling goes?

2. The goldie I saw tonight was a small Rykuin baby...bout this big -------- So cute BTW.

3. Will Pebbles get along with the newbie with the newbie being so small? Pebbles is about this big now ---------------------------- roughly anyways.

4. How long should I QT the newbie?

If I have missed anything please feel free to let me know, I have never bought a new fish and added I have always just bought a few at a time. Thanks so much.

Oh and TOOTHY....Have I waited long enough?.....I just can't stand staring in those tanks anymore I have to take one home soon...... :rofl

This is what Rick says at the Goldfish Connection...and I live by what he says...he's like the walking goldfish bible...BTW, I adopted a Ryukin only by accident awhile back, and they are the SWEETEST! Good luck! :heart

The Golden Rule!

Quarantine ALL new fish and treat ALL new Plants.

Quick Steps

# 1 - Quarantine tank must be aged or have an aged filter.

# 2- Salt to, point 3 %, one tablespoon per gallon.

# 3 - Treat for flukes with Prazi-Pro.

# 4 - Look for anchor worm and fish lice, if found, treat with Dimlin.

# 5 - Feed Medi-Gold for two weeks to treat for any bacterial problems.

Quarantine is a MUST, I've seen beautiful collections of goldfish lost because Collectors did not quarantine their new goldfish.

Guest Abrienna

Great advice, but is it wise to use Prazi-Pro on the chance that flukes may be present? If I'm remembering correctly Prazi is a pretty powerful med?

I missed that you lost your moor....I'm very sorry! :(

I think it is probably time now since you will be quarentening for a few weeks anyway. If you can take some of your media from the existing tank it will help your quarentine tank...but I'm sure you know all that, so I will just wish you the best of luck. Rick's and Toothy's procedures are very much the same, so I agree that is a good way to go. Personally, I did the salt and just watched for any signs of something that might need treatment...but I really like the idea of treating for flukes and plan to do that also in the future.

My latest additions were ryukins and they are really cute fish to have. Let us know what you get and when and of course pics if you can! :D

Thanks guys...This will help me a lot.

Oranda when you say a aged filter or aged QT tank, what do you mean by that?...the filter needs to be running for a length of time.

I think what I will do is print this off so it's easy to refer too. I saw that baby Ryukin last night and have been thinking long and hard about going to adopt him soon. Problem is that I leave again this Friday to go back down to Madison, and won't be around the house. Hubby doesn't know how to do all the fish stuff, so if he is still there next week I will get him. I will just get everything ready before I leave so there is a tank ready for him or whomever I get.

Thanks again guys, That really helped answer my questions.

sadden for your lost and you have a great idea to set up the tank so that it will be ready for your return...I hope the little guy is there for you when you get back. As for the QT tank, treat it like you would a reg tank. I think that two weeks should be a long enough period to know that your new goldie is ready to meed a new friend. I dont think that your current Goldie will have much a problem with the new goldie.

FroggyD - it's time?! YEAH! I'm so excited for you! Oh, baby Ryu! :heart

BTW - Prazi is a powerful med but a safe one. It has low/no toxicity for GF or tank. This med works by paralyzing the muscles in the fluke so they lose hold of the host. Without a host, the parasite will die. If treating for a definitive fluke infestation, it is best to treat several times, separately, on a schedule that shadows that of the life-cycle of the fluke to get the buggers who are in different satges of development during the original treatment - Prazi only works on the "adult" - or developed fluke, not the larvae. But for QT, maybe one dose it fine. Rick or Toothless would know best on that...

I have a question myself about the quarantine process. You said add a tablespoon of salt per gallon. I heard that the main tank and the quarantine tank are suppose to have similiar to exact water conditions?? Is this true? Wouldnt the meds and salt change the water? After quarantine is done do you just simply transfer the the fish into the main tank. Or is there a gradual process you have to go through for the fish to get use to the water(like the bag trick)? Thanks, I plan on getting a new tank with new fish soon and this would be very helpful for me:)

It would be a helpful thing defiantly to keep your params nearly in sync with one another...so as your fish won't go int oPH shock or anything...there will be some initial stress no matter what but three are definatly some factors you can control. And yes the bag trick is useful here as well. NEVER just put your fish right into the water...the abrupt temp change alone could kill them. Read this, I found this really helpful when I first started collecting...

Acclimating: Following are some information, and a few steps to make the transportation of your fish from the shipping bags to your tank safely.

All our fish are fresh water fish, they will not survive in salt water.

For goldfish, you may add an adequate amount of salt in the tank as for medication.

Fish upon arrival may appear to be abnormal due to the change of water condition in the bag and stress caused during shipping. They will recover within minutes by performing the following procedures.

To gradually balance the pH and the temperature of the shipping bag containing the fish to match that of your aquarium is most important.

Here is how (details of this procedure for your fish will be provided with your shipment):

Float the bag in your tank without open it for 10 to 15 minutes.

Add a cup of your tank water into the bag every few minutes.

Dispose half of the bag water when it is full.

Add more cups of tank water into the bag as above.

Repeat the above procedure at least twice.

Eventually empty the water with the fish into your tank.

I found this on fishexpress.net. I always thought it was a really great step by step process..Good Luck! :heart

Well as far as I know he is still awating me at Wally world!! I am out of town again this week but as soon as I get home and get unwound I am going out to get him. If he is gone I will have to pick another I suppose.

Can I buy the Prazi at the LFS? And I assume that I just follow the directions on the bottle accordinaly right?

I am having hubby set up QT tank while I am away, so if it's set up by tommrow it will be cycled enough to add fish to it by next monday or Tuesday then?

Thanks Again.....Hope my baby is still there.... :goodluck

Oh I hope he is there too Della! He sounded like such a cutie pie how you described him! I'm crossing my fingers for you.

I think Prazi can be found at LFS's but I'm positive you can find it easier online.

~Thanks Tam~

Where would you recommend I order from?...I have a Dr.Fosters and Smith catalog at home.

Jason said he would go check on the fish on his way out of town tommrow and if he's still there ask them to hole till Sunday night or Monday morning!! I hope he's there.....Got a name for him already...I will call him Seymour..

:)

Hi - I would definitley get it online - a great choice would be Goldfish Connection. It's the strong stuff! I have also seen it at some of the big pond sites like PondRX.

But, I can personally say that GC has fast shipping!

PraziPro, what they sell at Dr. F & S - has a lower concentration of Rx. in it so you would ned more - although the only bottle they sell of it is very large - but it is also very expensive! Holy Smackaroos - it's liek 50 bucks!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

I think PP can be bought at LFS but I do not know the pricing or availability.

It is $14.99 a bottle at Goldfish Connection - enough to treat a pond - the only drawback is that it is hard to dissolve into water - you will REALLY have to shake it up! But, for me, that is not a major issue - just shaking the powder - hard - into water.

It worked wonders on GN! He was visibly better in a matter of minutes! It is great for QT b/c it is not harmful to fish or tank but gets rid of a serious killer pest that is very hard to eradicate (ask Toothless)!

Now I am all excited and I can't wait until the weekend for you! :D

Archived