Sign in to follow this  
jawlovesstewie

No Mouth!

I have 3 female fighters who were all happy till the newet one grew up and i think may actually b a male :angry: (darn pet shop)... ne way one day all of a sudden became agressive and atacked the other 2 really bad ripping off all fins and many scales... :ignore ... ne way the fins r groing back but both of them had this furry mold sort of stuff on their mouths wich looks really gross... I have added prima fix and multi cure... ne way seems 2 b going away... the girls have shrunk though as they rnt eating much... n e way one of then and i presume the other has a gapping hole where her mouth used 2 b and it looks pretty awful...poor thing... this sux what can i do? Obversly she is not with the other f/m what eva it is and will NOT b going back in there but what can i do 4 her now? Her mouth has been eaten away!!!! :ill:o:(

Edited by jawlovesstewie

Aw, I really hate to be the one that tells you, but she might not make it without a mouth. I don't think it can grow back. :( You might want to just euthanise her with pure clove oil, or try your best to keep the water pristine and maybe hand feed her? What are you feeding her?

jawlovesstewie, it sounds like your bettas have a serious case of columnaris (cotton mouth disease). It is a bacterial disease that the new fish may have introduced. Combined with the stress and injury of fighting, your guys have been hit hard.

Columnaris also gets into the bloodstream developing internal infections, probably why your fish are so skinny. I'm afraid once it's got to this serious stage it is often fatal.

Melafix and Primafix just won't cut it with this type of infection, I suggest a visit to your lfs and purchasing something specific for this infection.

Your poor bettas have a bad case of mouthrot and as Annette mentioned, most likely from columnaris. Forget the mela/pimafix. Get some proper antibiotics.

If and when the infection is cleared, you have tow problems. How are they going to eat and the possibility of scar tissue growing back to cover the mouth openning.

ahhhh!!!this is terrible! How horrible!!!! Y do these things happen 2 my fish! I am feeding them tropical fish flakes which i know is not the best 4 them but they can kind of eat it if they try. i had a black more with moth rot but i cleared it up and it was neva cottony... howeva althogh he did get better his mouth was deformed and eventunatly he diede even though he lived happily for about 8 or 10 weeks with no signs of ne thing only he got 2 lazy 2 eat as it was an effort 4 him.

I dont know whee in canberra i can get special medication... what is it called???

Yeah, it is going to be tough getting any decent meds in Canberra. Try triple sufla or EM tablets. No guarantee they are still available though. :(

Sometimes the fish can such flakes in and still eat something. How to say. It can go either way.