Algae Eater

Fantail

Since there have been so many people commenting that the water in my tank is clear, here is the golden algae eater that does most of the cleaning work.

IMGP2366.jpg

You can kinda see him, i'll try to take a better one later, this one is pretty dark, since there is no sun shining in the tank.

Enjoy. :D

Ya wanna loan him out for a while? :rofl He does keep your tank so nice...and I have to go behind mine and clean for them (they come out to eat with my fish, I don't think they know they have a job to do!). What kind is yours? I have rubberlip plecos. :)

That one little guy keeps all the gravel, rocks and ornaments so clean?!!???? :o

We have ruins like you and we are forever getting them out to scrub clean!!!

Give him here NOW!! PLEEEASE!!! :krazy:

:lol1:lol::rofl

exactly what fish is he by the way? Our LFS has the chinese ones in the goldies tanks, but I haven't noticed any others.

I'm with you Kim, I have some ruins too and I have to scrub mine all the time. I tried letting it go a couple of weeks, but I don't like it all brown. I wish my pleco would keep it that clean! :angry: That's why I want to know what kind it is....maybe I need 1 or 2 or 14! :D

oooooh theyr evil things! they eat goldfishs scales and they grow to like 25cm!! i used to have one.. i had to take him out the tank, he got so annoyed at me for taking the tastey goldies away from him he died.. he was a chinese algea eater.. some are called siamese algae eaters but they are really from tailand! they are very terittorial so never get more than one.. personally i am never going near those things again! :angry:

Yes, that is true, it kinda chases the goldfish once in a while, when they like peck at him or steal his pellet, but it doesn't hurt the goldfish. If this is a true problem in the future, i know what to do.

but i had a rubberlip, then it died. :(

Well, I guess I'll just have to keep helping my rubberlip do his job cause I don't want one that will attack my fish. If my plecos would stop pigging out with the goldies at feeding time, they might keep things a little cleaner! :rofl

Ohhh, I never realised it was a chinese one you have :( I have seen them in with the Goldies at our LFS but I was told on here awhile back that they attack Goldies and go for their slime coat ... So if that's a Chinese Algea eater you have, I think I'll pass it up and keep on scrubbing too ;)

i used to have one of those algae eater fish. unfortunately, it didnt really help with the algae. i cant remember what happened to him. but then again, i cant remember what i had for lunch yesterday :D

:)   sorry about this, but you may object to me having him.  But he is pretty nice most of the time.

372249[/snapback]

i dont object. im just giving my experience with them.. mayb you have a nice one! it might be coz you give him a lot of his own food so he doesnt feel the need to go after thet goldies slime?

:)   sorry about this, but you may object to me having him.  But he is pretty nice most of the time.

372249[/snapback]

Oh nooo, i didn't mean it to sound like I object ... Sorry if it did.

No, I just meant that having heard of a few bad experiences, I would be frightened to get one just incase, thats all. sorry if it sounded as if it was against you in any way.

I certainly didn't mean anything against you having him either Fantail, it's your tank, you obviously can put whatever you want to in there. I think it's great that you have one that does so well with your fish and if I could be sure of the temperment of a certain one before I brought it home, I would try it too cause let me tell ya, I'm getting real tired of the scrubbing thing! ;) I actually wish I could get a common pleco because I really like the big ones and I know it could be doable and they would get used to each other and be fine together, I'm just a little chicken at taking chances like that. But you know what, none of them are a for sure thing together, I have had to remove one oranda and one rubberlip pleco over time because they were too aggressive so..... :idont

I still say we could all loan yours out for a while! :rofl

I certainly didn't mean anything against you having him either Fantail, it's your tank, you obviously can put whatever you want to in there.

372512[/snapback]

lol i wouldnt put a cat in there... or a horse

Golden algae eater. But i wouldn't recomend getting one, since you may end up with one that is aggressive. This one is ok. but our rubberlip died :(

After scrubbing my tank clean AGAIN yesterday, I think I would put a crocodile in there if he kept it clean enough! :rofl I checked at my vvvv for some algae eaters other than rubbernosed but they only had commons so I have to keep looking :(

Archived