Expired Food

JessicaandMarshall

I always throw old food out and buy new.

I just saw some Hikari Lionhead food on ebay, for 6.57 C, here for the same size bag it costs between 28.99-31.99 depending on where you go.

I emailed the seller and asked the expiration date and it was this month!!

So I'm obviously not buying it.

But what exactly happens to the food after the date passes? I'm going to guess and say the vitamins degrade or whatever the correct term would be. Or maybe the food actually goes bad? Eeeeekkkk

Buyer beware when shopping on ebay =o)

Jessica

If it is dry food and the package is sealed then it will probably be OK. Manufacturers have to protect their image and give expiration dates that are way sooner than the actual time it takes the food to go bad. If the expiration date is this month, there is a pretty good chance that the food is good. However, I would not buy expired food either. Yet, I would not through it away if I already had it.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick there should be an expiry date somewhere on the container. :D Just read that and you will know how long your food is good for.

I have food I bought in the spring and it's still good till March, so unless the food you bought sat on the shelf for a long time before you bought it, you should be ok for a long while yet!

Jessica

• 3 weeks later...

Archived