I Need Help - Fast

Guest Brock

Guest Brock

Hi there. I've got a problem with my fish. I think they're dying and I need some help fast.

I went away for the weekend and came back to find the tank really cloudy and my two ryukin looking rather fed up. Their dorsal fins were deflated and they were a bit lethargic. I cleaned the tank filter in water from the tank, treated the water with Easy Balance, and after a couple of days it was crystal clear again. I had it tested at my LFS and all was fine.

However, the fish still weren't happy. One of them seemed to have trouble maintaining correct bouyancy, so at first I thought it was a swim bladder problem. The only thing I could think of for this was peas. They loved the peas, but this didn't help. They were still lethargic, and depressed looking.

Today I came in from work to find one lying on his side on the bottom of the tank, and the other one lying on his back. The one lying on his back responded to some food, but soon went back to lying on his back.

I did notice that one had what I thought looked like fin rot - his tail was looking rather shaggy with white deposits on it. So two days ago I treated the water with anti-fungal, anti-bacterial medication, but still, the situation is not getting any better.

I'm worried that if I don't do something fast my red and white ryuking, and my calico ryukin are going to die.

I need your help.

Guest Brock

No, I think the fins are suffering from finrot. So I've got myself some anti-fungus and finrot treatment. But I'm not going to use that yet because...

I rushed out and got myself a home test kit, and the nitrate and nitrite levels were through the roof. Don't know what my LFS were doing when they tested the water.

So I've done a forty percent water change and added some Nutrafin Cycle. This was recommended to me by another LFS. Apparently it's super concentrated bacteria which will quickly start to eat up the nitrates and nitrites.

It's only been about fifteen minutes since I've done this, and one of the fish has moved around a bit, but generally both are just sitting there like before.

Does anyone know how long it will be before they start to recover - provided I didn't leave it too late?

:crp Sorry to hear of your woes. Any time you see your fish having these types of problems,the very first thing that you want to do,is a big water change. I am moving this thread to the disease/diagnosis section,so that we can further assist you. ;) If you could start from the top,and answer the questions in the red box-that would be great.It's the best way when trying to decide treatments.Post soon!

Archived