Have Extra Power - What Can I Make?

Graham

Sorry I hadn't seen this sooner. I have a couple ideas that I think you'd be interested in. Lemme go work in the specifics and Ill be back before I turn in tonight! ;)

Given that your powrhead is the correct flow for the gallonage, or it has a adjustable flow rate, you can either purchase one of these:Sponge filters

Or you can just purchase one of the plain-jane sponges for powerheads from someplace locally or online. The regular sponges are a few dollars cheaper thhan the link above.

Sponges make for one of the best bio-medias out there. They have tons of area for bacters to colonize and are easy to maintain.

Here's a link to one of my favorite filters of all time: Aqua-clear quickfilter attachment

Here is a pic of what it looks like when it is broken down:

post-1193-1122944785_thumb.jpg

Note the little basket that sits inside of the sleeve. This is the IDEAL place to put some form of bio-media, chemical media, or crushed oyster shells to combat low KH. The water HAS to go through the bio-media chamber before it can be puled into the powerhead and broadcast back into the tank. That way, every bit of water is passing through the bio/chemical media and is being as efficiently cleaned as possible. The floss sleeve that sits in the cage and over the bio-chamber is actually capable of drawing out particulate matter as small as 1 micron. Perfect for trapping nasties that might come in with a new fish or when treating a sick one. A#1 n my book for powerfilters..... ;)

Thanks McGyver - I mean, Toothless! Luckily, I have had a cold so I never got ar

ound to tossing out the powerhead (It's a Rio so may not last much longer than a year) - but if I can get some use out of where I am not dependant on it - perfect! I am going to try your suggestion as I hope to be doing a QT soon!

I have my Mercededs do it's time to be reasonable and try a hybrid! :rofl

Thanks! And thanks for reading through my typo - I'm sure that was confusing!

Archived