Jikins

Kissy

Does anyone have info or a page with info about jikins? I'm interested in how the remove their scales, if they do it to all of them, etc. I don't think its a good idea, but I don't know enough about the process or breed to judge. I'm curious too!

Jikins are just supposed to have red on their lips and on their fins. Since it's near impossible to breed a fish like this, they take the fish that are close to this coloration and pull off the red scales that aren't desirable. I think they only do it a handful at a time, as you wouldn't want to kill a fish that could be worth so much money...

I think the Jikin tail is really pretty... but since I really don't care how much a fish is worth, and I spend a lot of time, money, and emotional energy fixing fish problems that I didn't create, I don't see how I could ever involve myself with that sort of thing.

<_<

I was wondering, too - thanks for asking - Kissy!

How sad! :crp I find Jikins to be very beautiful but I also would not support that!

:angry: No Jikins! :ignore Maybe it says something about how we feel about animals that Jikins are not very popular in America, if that's why - I hope so!

Do they have any other special charactoristics? Like...are they the ones with the "x" tail? Maybe in a few years they'll be some unplucked ones and breeders might start just breeding for the tail.

Yup... they're the ones that, when viewed from behind, look like they have a big four-leaf clover tacked onto their butts. :)

The fins can be stunning. I don't care what color they are.

lol those standards and rituals are totally exagerated, jikins MAY be bred to be calico, and the scales are most of the time only plucked from the scales near the fins, plucking the large scales may cause an uneven size of scales so they are usually left alone since in competitions scales are also judged so a nicely groomed red jikin may out-do a 12 point jikin with inferior scales

Actually, you can find some jikin around that have not the "true" jikin coloration - Ken from DandyOrandas.com had a few for sale a few months ago. They were mostly red/white, and looked pretty nonetheless.

The scale plugging isn't done on a huge scale, just on "almost perfect" colored fish to get rid of those few scales. A few sites with nice jikin pics you can find on my April 2005 "goldfish of the month" article on Jikin....

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...48entry311548

Archived