Should I?

Guest Spazzy

Guest Spazzy

I have two common goldies, Sparky and Spaz. I have lately been considering breeding. I have thought it over for a while now and I think it might be kewl. I love the baby experience, I've done it with birds puppies and kittens, so I thought, if I'm gonna become a vet, why not try fish too! I currently have a 20 gallon tank that my fish thrive in.

I only have one problem, I have no clue what gender my fish are! So I don't know whether I need to get another fish or not. And the only place around here that sells goldfish wouldn't know what gender they are. They sell them as feeder fish only :( I am ashamed of my community. There is a place in the nearby town that sells really expensive ryukins that are bigger than my fist, but I don't have the resources to accomodate that. Plus, I like my commons! :heart Anyways, to get back on track, can someone tell me a surefire way to sex goldies, I looked at the link here on Koko's, but I still don't understand.

Also, is there a reason that one of my goldies is so much bigger than the other when they were pretty much the same size when I got them as babies?

Thanks for anything anyone can offer.

~*Spazzy*~

Guest Lizzy

I'm no expert either but I can usually see it by breeding starts (or an absence of them). Do you see white spots on either of your goldfish?

They look like small pimples. Mine usually only have them on their gill plates but they are quite distinct. Even more so when they're in the mood ;)

That for me is usually the only way too.

Or I've seen them chasing/being chased - then you know as well :)

Size is not a reliable one in my experience.

In my commons the fatty was the male and the slender one the female WITH eggs.

Anyhow, hope that helps. The baby experience is really nice :)

i dont know if commons have the same thing as fancy's from telling male/female... well, anyways you should be looking near the anal fin area...heres a link where it may help you...

good luck on it :D

Guest Spazzy

Well, as I'm typing, they're doing the mating dance. I can't tell the difference between their anal openings, they both look female according to that chart thingy. But Spaz is chasing Sparky, which would back up my earlier hunches about their genders. But, I don't have any plants in the cage, so if they do spawn, then the eggs will just stick to the top or bottom or whatever, and then I won't be able to remove them. So, would it be safe to move the parents to my old 10 gallon until the fry hatch and grow up? And, I would have to move my pleco too right? This is assuming they're not both females. :D Aren't fish wonderful? They're funny.

Thanks again for the info!

~*Spazzy*~

Guest Spazzy

Oh, I forgot, there are no white spots, so, they're probably just messing around, either that or they think that it's possible to mate like this... :huh:

umm i suggest you to get something like plant or driftwood when or if they do spawn and then move the eggs into the 10gallon tank instead of the parents into the 10gallon tank ..and the pleco will eat the eggs too if you dont remove them...assuming their not females...

yea so the main point here..if spawn then move the eggs into the 10gallon and leave the parents and the pleco in the 20gallon..easy!

marco

I agree with marco..I think it would be easier to move the parents than the fry eggs should you have to deal with that. I have comet that have mated with my fantails and orandas and he had tubercules, so I am assuming that common males should get them too.

Guest Spazzy

Okay, thanks for all the help guys. I'll get some plants and some things for the eggs to hang on to...but you know..I think that if they are gonna spawn, I wanna get a little 5 gallon or 7 gallon to put the babies in, since my 10 gallon doesn't have a filter...that's why I got the 20 gallon, plus the space...But thanks lots guys, I'll keep you posted on progress if any is made!

~*Spazzy*~

Archived