Pepple Stuck Help

Guest stina3246

Guest stina3246

Moriarty has always eaten flakes but I dropped a few fish pebbles in for my koi Moriarty doesn't like the pebbles and the Koi does not like the flakes so there's never been an issue but today Moriarty sucked up one of the pebbles and seems to have gotten it stuck. It doesn't seem to be choking on it but he looks REALLY annoyed! What do I do? Will it desolve eventually? Should I try tweezers. He's pretty upset.

Guest stina3246

Yes...sorry...pellets. He is still able to eat....but he looks distressed. AND he keeps picking up actual pebbles and spitting them out. He was opening his mouth real wide too but he's not doing that now. He's swiming fine and has occasion burst of zipping around the tank....he just looks.....well......uncomfortable. I know he sucked it up and he started trying to spit it out immediately but nothing came out. I'm not too comfortable with the tweezer trick unless I think I can keep him still.....he's VERY active.

Hi - Well, maybe since it is fish food, it will eventually dissolve as he seems basically ok (like not choking)! I don't know - but perhaps it's like getting some really dry food caught in your throat, even after it goes down it feels unpleasant for a while. I hope Moriarity is OK! Are you soaking the pellets first?

If you ever have another problem with it, post in the Emergency section so it gets immediate help.

Fish have 'teeth' in their throat, and sometimes to grind up food, they rub it against these 'teeth' and grind it up, kind of like a gizard in a chicken. I paniced once when my fish had pea, but she was jsut breaking it down.

I hope things went okay with him, please post back soon and let us know.

Guest stina3246

:D Thanks for all your help guys. Moriarty is fine and hungry as ever. I'm just more careful now about the pellets. I feed Moriarty on one side of the tank and while he (and his buddy Sherlock) are busy I feed Watson (The Koi) on the other. I figure by the time the time Moriarty gets around to eating the pellets they have been soaking for a while.

Thanks again.

Archived