Ryukin Sniffing Oranda's Butt Behavior?

fondoo

I just got a beautiful oranda today and I've been watching them closely. I notice one of the Red Ryukin is contanstly sniffing the Oranda's butt. Sometimes cornering her or getting on top of the Oranda. Is this normal? Is the Ryukin trying to mate with the Oranda?

DSC05156.JPG

I have the same problem from time to time with a male Calico Fantail 'sniffing' the butt of my female orange oranda. I was told that it's a sort of mating / opposite sex behaviour and is normal.

I got worried at times because he seemed so obsessed with her at times that it seemed she was exhasted of it. But as time went on he stopped.... but once and a while will start up again.

This especially happened when she had eggs in her.

well, maybe its just the starting process...perhaps the belly will come later...or they could just be playing around.

does your male ryukin show any breeding stars?

and i have to say your goldies are beautiful!

Could be spawning behavior; has it gotten hotter or have you done recent water changes? Warmer temps triger fish to spawn. There is a spawning video in the breeding section pinned at the top. I would check that out. Recently there has been alot of posts about breeding behavior going on.

If they seem to be bullying, you could make or buy a divider, or move her out temporarily.

Also, good shot of the fish! I'm a sucker for orandas.

Post back soon.

Archived