Pond Gallons?

Ruffledmumkin

Its really hard when they are odd shaped and the calculators are generally over estimated. The only way to get a right on reading is with a meter....

Its important to know exact water gl's too for medication purposes. :D

Bet your contimplating a few fishys for the pond eh? :D

Guest Abrienna

There's always the very slow, very tedious way. Move the fish out (if you've already got the fish in) and start bailing/pumping. Then pull out a large bucket that you know the gallonage of and start filling it up again one bucket at a time.

Sorry that's the best idea I have for ya' :(

Abrienna

Good idea Abrienna, but way too much work for these ponds! They are pretty deep, so I would break my back trying to drain and refill. Plus I have all the fish in there, and the pond has long since been cycled. The levels are perfect. Oh, and I have thousands of tadpoles in it, that I wouldn't want to hurt. But other than your way, I'm not sure how you could tell how many gallons you have.

Lillypetal, I have already asked the previous owner. He wasn't sure, since it was a free form pond.

So if any of you have any other great ideas, let us know.

Guest Abrienna

Got another idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work...

Try sectioning it off, like you would with an irregular 2 dimensional figure when trying to find the area. If your sides are (relatively) straight down then it should be possible. Begin by using twine, or something similar, to "cut" the pond into more regular shapes. Tie the twine to a stake, stretch the twine across the pond and tie to a second stake. Plant the stakes into the ground. Look for squares, rectangles, arcs, etc. Measure the pond depth and the dimensions of your sectioned off areas. Pull out a calculator and start with the formulas. You could also plot it out on graph paper to make it easier to visualize.

If your sides are sloped it would much harder, but still possible to get an estimate. You'd have to do LOTS more measuring, though, and the plotting on graph paper would be absolutely necessary. It would also require interior measuments which might disturb fish and plants.

It sounds like a good idea,:thumbup but I'm horrible at math. I have no idea of how you would go about getting the answer. :idont Can you explain more in detail of how I would get the answer? Oh, my pond doesn't go straight down, it goes down at an angle.

I'm guessing you have two very large ponds? Here is the formula for figuring out pond volume;

Length (ft.) x Width (ft.) x Average Depth (ft.) x 7.5 = volume of water

Since it is irregular I'm wondering kidney shaped or oval? If so formula will work. You'll need to guesstimate your ave depth. Just lower a string down in your deepest area and see how deep that is at water line and do the same with shallow area and average that out.

Your not going to get exact unless you use the water meter as Tam suggested. This would mean drain the pond, write down the number on your water meter then subtract the first number you got off the water meter from the number after the pond is filled.

You can also figure it out by using salt. I know, this really isn't a normal way but it will work. Personally I see nothing wrong with using salt to figure it out. Maybe someone else wants to chime in on that idea? Certainly .1% salt in the pond doesn't bother anything.

Scott

I got a similar idea - drain the pond, refill it, and wait for the next water bill on which you should see an outragiously high number above the normal usage... :)

Scott, my pond isn't that big, and it is more round than oval, or kidney shaped. Here is a picture of it, so you can get an idea of what it looks like. Will the math thing work for it? I really don't want to drain it, I would loose my tadpoles snails, minnows, and mybe a goldfish.

HouseHunt019.jpg

It's beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here are some sites you can use in order to figure your gallons. Round is fine, oval is fine!

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/calc.htm

http://www.watergardeningdirect.com/Advice...eCalculator.htm

http://www.koicarp.net/pond_calc.htm

http://www.pumpsandspares.com/volcalculator.htm

Hopefully your better than me with your measurements LOL I am always off and I can't figure out why.

Scott

Guest orandabuhlanda

You could measure the amount of time it takes to fill a 20 gallon bucket. For example, if it takes you 2 minutes to fill up a 20 gallon bucket and it takes you 10 minutes to fill up your entire pond, your pond would be 100 gallons and so on. Hope this helps.

Guest orandabuhlanda

You measure the amount of time it takes to fill a bucket . If for example you have a 20 gallon bucket and it takes you 2 minutes to fill it. Then if it took you 10 minutes to fill your entire pond from the hose that would mean your pond is 100 gallons. But these are only examples it would depend on the size of the container you're filling , how long it took you to fill it and how long it took you to fill your pond. I could try and sort out the math if you tell me how large of a container you are filling, how long it took to fill up the container and how long it took to fill the pond. This is the method I used to calculate the gallonage in my pond and I'm glad I did it this way. I thought my pond was twice the size by using those dimension calculations since my pond is sloped.

would I have to drain my pond to do this? I really don't want to do that, since it is doing so great. Plus so many things live in it, they would die if I drained it. The pond had been set up about 4 0r 5 years before I moved here. So I had nothing to do with filling it, or anything else for that matter. Am I just understanding this wrong. It takes me a while to get things some times. :hummm

Guest orandabuhlanda

Yeah you would have to drain your pond. Your only other option is a meter which I have seen for about 20-30 bucks.

Archived