Is This Ok

ok i was at my girlfriends today and i tested her water in her 10gal tank and the ammonia was at 4 nitrite at 0 and nitrates at 5 so i immediately changed the water and i was wondering does this mean the tank is almost done cycling since i see nitrates or waht? can someone tell me what's goin on.

I would suspect not. My local water comes with nitrAtes so I always have them whether I'm cycling or not.

The reason I think she is just beginning (or at least in the first phase anyway) is because her ammonia level is so high with the Nitrites at 0. As the cycle progresses, you will see the ammonia fall & the nitrites rise & then the nitrites fall & the nitrAtes rise. When your ammonia & nitrIte levels are 0 & you have nitrates - your tank is cycled.

As an aside - as well as the ammonia phase, you also need to be careful of the nitrite phase of the cycle. It often helps to add a teaspoon of salt/ gal to prevent nitrite poisioning. (Unless her variety of fish cannot tolerate salt)

Hope this helps - if not -post back! :D

If you tested the tank and the ammonia was at 4ppm, one of 3 things is happening:

The tank is still cycling

Your tapwater contains ammonia

The test kit you are using is not cunducive with your dechlorinator

To tell wich of the above is happening, answer these questions:

How long has the tank been up and running?

What is the test results for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes from the tapwater (before dechlorination)?

What is the test results for ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes from the tapwater (after dechlorination)?

Post back soon. :)

Paul

Archived