Gas Bubbles In Poops

chico

Ammonia Level 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? last test b/n 10-20

Ph Level? 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap? do not know (will check)

Tank size(How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 10 gal; running 3 1/2 wks

What kind of Filtration? AquaClear 30

How often do you change the water and how much? 20%/week

What kind of Water additives or conditioners? Prime

Any Medications add to the tank? no

How many fish in the tank and there size? Two orandas; about 1 inch excluding tail

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? omega one sinking pellets; nutrafin flakes; freeze dried brine shrimp; peas

Any unusual findings on the fish? Such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus? no

Any unusual behavior? Like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? no

If you can what is the chloramines Level from the Tap? do not know

One of the fish, Robby, has such strange poops. I don't think I have ever seen him w/a normal poop (in the 3 1/2 wks I've had him). The poop is usually long; has bubbles in it; and changes back and forth in color from brown to clear. Every once in a while I'll see a 'normal' poop.

I have tried the don't feed for two days, then peas for two days diet. Nothing happened; the next day after the peas he had the funky tri-colored string poop w/a bubble in it. His tummy looks a little 'full' to me, but it's been that way since I got him.

He acts normal. Swims around like a crazy guy and plays w/other fish, Johnny. His skin looks great. I don't see any exterior signs of problems.

If Robby is indeed a girl, could this be the reabsorbing egg issue? If so, how long does this go on? I am just not sure what else I can do here....

Any advice is greatly appreciateed, as always!

It is definately clear and not white? From the Goldfish Poop reference, it does sound like re-absorbing eggs...especially if you know the fish is a girl: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/GoldfishPoop.html

If the poop is white instead, then it is constipation....the peas should have helped that.

I personally have never dealt with re-absorbing eggs (my fish all appear to be male) so I can't answer the question as to how long it takes...maybe someone here can clarify? It seems a big long to last over 3 weeks??

It is clear. Sometimes the gas bubble almost looks like a silver ball.

I've seen some poop opaque in color...but mostly the poop string is brown and clear.

Three weeks does seem like a long time to be absorbing eggs.....help!

How long is the poop?  ________  or _______________ or????

368746[/snapback]

Usually it's about an inch long; striped brown and clear; some opaque once in a while; one or two bubbles per poop. When I have seen the opaqueness, it occurs as the poop first comes out...and it looks rather feathery (for lack of a better term). It's not firm at that point.

The fish are not in a room where I can watch them all day long, else I would. So I am not sure if every time he poops it's the same. But I do see this at least once a day. (of course, today I have seen no poops)

I am not sure how many times I can put them thru the starvation / pea diet? I have not fed them today. Also, the second fish has never displayed a poop problem to me. So this second fish ends up getting starved, too. Is this okay? (I have a hard time feeding just the one.)

I do not feed the same food every day.

I have not fed them today...so I'll continue the fasting thru tomorrow; therefore they'll have two days no food. Then I'll feed them peas for two days.

I will then start a chart, noting the food on each day and the poops. Maybe it's the flakes.....who knows. Or it could still be the egg issue...... I'm at a loss. :crp

Are they acting OK? I wouldn't go crazy in the absence of any symptoms or problems in your tanks. Poop is meant to be a guidline but as are people - fish are unique.

I would keep the food log & keep an eye on his behavior & coloring. Watch to make sure he doesn't start swelling.

Also keep an eye on your params.

Hopefully this is just him & all is OK! :D

Yes, a food log is a great idea....not all fish foods are alike...some are better quality than others and some of the lesser quality ones can cause digestive disturbances.

I personally feed peas/fast my fish every week (1 day of fasting followed by 1 day of peas followed by my water change). This seems to help with chronic constipation issues. I also switched my flake food and noticed a big improvement.

Yes, a food log is a great idea....not all fish foods are alike...some are better quality than others and some of the lesser quality ones can cause digestive disturbances.

I personally feed peas/fast my fish every week (1 day of fasting followed by 1 day of peas followed by my water change).  This seems to help with chronic constipation issues.  I also switched my flake food and noticed a big improvement.

369118[/snapback]

Which fish flake are you using now?

I feed Progold mostly but I do use Hikari flake as well.  :D

369261[/snapback]

Thanks for the info. I will certainly take that into consideration. :D

Archived