Gel Food

Guest squeeker

Guest squeeker

Well, today I decided to try my hand at making gel food. I just put it in the fridge to set about 10 minutes ago, and it's already firming up! It was really easy to make, took only 20-30 minutes from start to finish! I sure hope my fish like the stuff!

Here's what I used: the recipe is adapted from some of the others in the pinned topic.

1/2 can tuna

1/2 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup fresh green and yellow beans, washed and diced

1 medium carrot, peeled and diced

1/2 cup broccoli, washed and diced

1 red plum, washed and diced

1 clove garlic, peeled

1 tsp paprika

(I would have liked to use rice, but I didn't have any left :krazy: )

I blended the dickens out of everything in the food processor. I added the water from the tuna can, and about 1/4 cup of dechlorinated water, as well.

I used Knox gelatin; it says on the package that one envelope would set 2 cups of liquid or 1 1/4 cups solids. I used 2 packages of gelatin, and dissolved it in a cup of boiling, dechlorinated water. Then, I mixed it with the stinky, greenish-brown mixture from the food processor, lined a 9x13 pan with plastic wrap, and poured the whole mess in. Then I put it in the fridge.

Every 5 minutes or so I've been tapping the pan with a knife to release the bubbles.

If this recipe works out, and my fish like it, I think I'll try using different fruits and veggies next time!

I've gotta say, this is way cheaper than store-bought fish food! And it was fun!

Guest squeeker

Well, I fed a piece to the gang, and it was a hit! I notice that it takes them longer to chew up the gel food, which is good, cuz it gives me time to make sure everyone gets some!

I probably should have put in one more package of gelatin, because the food sort of breaks off in the water.

Looks like i made enough to last for months, too!!

Archived