Fish Laying In Side In Bottom Of Pond

Guest goldenmom

Guest goldenmom

Hi, all,

Well, I'm back. I was the one who lost Margaret, the Oranda, a couple of months back and now my Shubunkin is on the bottom of the pond. I just gave him a 10 minute salt bath, but he doesn't look good. The only thing I can see is that his gills are very red. Params are all normal: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, ph 8, cycled pond. Help, my friends, please, before it is too late.

Lynn :(

P.S. he has been just fine up until today

How long has the pond been up and running? You say that it is fully cycled but if your nitrates are 0 then it is not cycled. You don't want high readings of nitrate (less than 20 is ideal) but you should have some nitrates if the bio load has been established.

How often do you do water changes? Any new additions to the pond lately? What is the temp of the pond? Not sure where you live but if you have been hit with the heat waves my area has, the temp has probably increased.

Guest goldenmom

Hi, fishyfan,

Well, yes, I did two major water changes within a week because the water had gotten so hot and green. I added Aqua-Safe along with the new, cool water and the fish seemed to respond in a very positive way. I do this sort of thing every so often, but this time the water got so warm and green again so quickly, that I did another within a week of the first one. The pond has been running for at least three months or more and this fish has been in there the whole time. I did notice that one of his gills is bright red showing through to the outside of it. The other one doesn't look that way. He is in a 100gal. pond with plants and a bio-filter plus a bubbler. I'm wondering now if those water changes were too close together, because other than that, he looks healthy with no Ich or Fin Rot, raised scales or lesions of any kind. I feel so horrible as he has grown to about 7 inches from a little bitty thing when I got him. He's barely clinging to life right now, and I just can't believe I could lose him so quickly when he was just fine 24hrs. ago. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate your input.

Lynn

hmm, his symptoms are making me think that there is something off with the water quality. Did you use a dechlorinator when you did the water changes? Also, have your ph always been around 8? 8 is slightly high but if the fish have always been living with that ph, the ph is probably ok bc goldfish are pretty adaptable...but if you had a drastic increase or decrease, that could cause problems.

However, I don't want to rule out things like gill flukes...are there any other symptoms? Does he seem to be breathing rapidly? Is he swimming at all and if so, do you notice any flashing or darting/rubbing against objects?

Do you have a big enough tank to get him out of there and treat if needed (ie salt...wouldn't want to ask you to treat your whole pond!)?

Guest goldenmom

Hey, fishy,

Well, I can't believe he's still alive, but just barely. He is on his side and at the bottom of the pond, but whenever I try to net him he swims away very lethargically and twisting to his side and upside down. I gave him a salt bath this morning and added salt to the pond per instructions on my pond salt box. It is so hot here, that the water has already turned green again. He is not breathing rapidly, in fact he is hardly breathing at all. I'm really starting to think that the second major water change is what has caused this. There are NO signs of disease except where his right gill is very, very red and visible from the outside. He was not flashing and was eating Pro-Gold beautifully until today. Now, I didn't feed him last night, so I can't honestly say he was okay last night as I didn't check him. But I have gone a day without feeding him once in awhile when I was out and it just got too late. As far as the PH, my pond maintains a PH of between 7.6 and 8.2. But he has been in this pond with no problems for months. Gosh, this is so terrible the way these fish can just get sick and die with no warning. I've had almosst every kind of domestic animal there is, and I have never encountered such delicate creatures. Can you think of anything I can do to possible turn this around? I really don't want to lose this beautiful creature if it is at all possible. Thanks again.

Lynn :)

Hmm, if you have a thermometer, I would see what temp the pond is. My concern is that the oxygen levels may be down if the heat is too high...is there any way to shade the pond to help keep it a bit cooler? I am not familiar with pond keeping so not sure if there is any way to increase aeration? I can't see anything that sticks out to me as an indicator of disease...if anyone else out there disagrees, please speak up. Hopefully the salt will help him. I know how frustrating it is when you want to help our little wet friends but we feel so helpless bc it is not always easy to diagnose exactly what is wrong.

Guest goldenmom

Well, I did everything I knew to do, and I found him floating this morning. I just can't believe this. I don't believe the water was any warmer than it has been, in fact, maybe it was just a little cooler as I had just done a major water change a few days before. I just can't imagine what happened unless it had something to do with the PH. I want to keep goldfish so badly, but this is terrible and I have been through so much with my fish that I'm really discouraged. Maybe I'll go give some feeder fish a new home, take care of them to the best of my ability and hope for the best. Thanks, fishy, for all your replies, I really appreciate them. I'm a little disappointed that noone else had any ideas, but maybe noone could figure out what was wrong. All I can say is I am so very sad and still in disbelief that in 24hrs. my beautiful fish is gone. Take care and it's been nice meeting you.

Lynn :(

I'm sorry to hear about your fish, Lynn. It's always dis-heartening to lose them bc we wish so badly that we could have done something to help. Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. But don't get discouraged! I went through a particularly rough time with my fish not all that long ago but it's a hobby I love so I am going to just keep trying my best!

-Renee

:( Hi Lynn,I'm very sorry to hear that you lost your Shub. I'm also sorry that you were disappointed because of the lack of ideas on which to help you with.This seemed to have happened so fast.I'm usually on at night,but I just got off my 80 hour work week. I had a few questions to ask you though,besides Margaret & your Shub,how many of the other fish have you lost out of that group? Were you doing consistent water changes,and water testing on a regular basis? I also noticed that your pond #'s all read 0---Did that pond ever get a Nitrate reading,or was it at 0 always? The Red Gill that your Shub had,could have been caused by poor water quality,(which could lead into a bacterial infection)and/or gill flukes. When you do change out water were you matching temps as close as possible? Also,with the PH, was it reading a stable level consistenly,or constantly changing-up & down?Those two are important & enough to kill a fish if they were drastic temp and PH changes. I know that with Margaret,you had purchased Prazi,did you ever use it? Once again,I am so sorry.Please hang in there.We all have our tough times,especially starting out,and you've only been in it a few months.Those guys came to you sick,with low immune systems to begin with. Putting them through the cycling of tanks/ponds made it a little rougher. As for using "Feeder Fish",I treat them the same way I would treat my Fancy Goldfish.If your Water Quality isn't right-it will kill them too. How many fish do you have left in that pond,and are they showing any signs/symptons? Don't give up hope yet....... :hug

Archived