Pre-filters

Scott

I have to do something with my filter. The laterals get clogged up so much and so fast that I am cleaning them out twice a day now. It's the tree's fault! I have this huge locust tree that spits out billions of tiny seeds every year. These seeds are clogging my laterals and I can't figure out anyway to stop it. A prefilter seems my only option since I have no room for a nice gravity system which is really what I want. I would LOVE to have the gravity feed system or something simple that will do a great job. I just don't have the room. So here's what I'm looking at, maybe someone has had experience with this or knows someone else that has. The Turbo Vortex Pre-filter, expensive yes but if it works it'd be worth its weight in gold. I can't go anywhere you see, I am stuck to my pond until I get this problem resolved. Any suggestions?

I did take pictures today but wouldn't you know it I can't find the stupid cord to hook the camera up to the computer! GREAT!

here's the link to the filter

http://koi.com/filtration/pre-filters.php

yeah another loan for the pond.

This is another case of why one should do it right the first time :)

Scott

Yup Scott, that is so true! Sort of goes with the 50/50 hindsight thing.... :D

Some folks use Quilt batting in the filters to help with some stuff. But yeah, a pre-filter might just be the answer in your case.

Those tiny seeds can be a pain....... :(

I get fir needles and cotton wood seed. But my pump sits in a filter box with bio balls and mattala then goes to the fishmate uv bio filters. I'm adding some more filter media to the pump one to help keep some more of the stuff from going through. In my stock tank I have a filter max, so I added some quilt batting to keep the needles and small seed from going into the fountain head.

That looks like an awfully complicated filter, Scott, although you are asking somebody who builds her filters herself and is pretty fed up with them, so I might not be first choice in answering that... :rofl

Have you considered to add some sort of filter infront of your main filter - nothing much in it, maybe some floss or mattala, and use it mosty as settlement filter? Those fishmates that Kathy mentions aren't that expensive, and I use the very smallest one (without the UV version) as a settlement container for my turtle tub (they must be related to goldfish and koi - they make the same mess).... :rolleyes:

Andrea

I've thought about it. Problem is room. I have no place to put them at water level. I've got to run the bottom drain to it as well. I think that what you are suggesting would work better, I just don't know how I'd set it up with what I have. I'll have to think about it somemore.

Scott

Archived