Setting Up New Eheim Canister...

Graham

Eheim2215withparts-wheredothesego.jpg

These are the double isolating valves - Where do they go?

Eheim2215withparts-whatisthis1.jpg

What is this #1?

Eheim2215withpartswhatisthis2.jpg

What is this #2 - I know it is an elbow connector that somehow connects the spray bar to the tubing - but it is not a closed tube... :unsure:

The valves you se are quick-release valves for the tubing. You connect them somewhere in the middle of the hoses that go to and from the filter. They are so that you can shut them off and remove the filter without removing the hoses running into the tank.

As for the curved bit, I'm not sure. It doesnt say anything in the manual? :huh:

OK -thanks - that's what I thought - in the middle of the tubing... (These are not mentioned in the manual as I think they are some kind of Free Perk, it says on the box).

As for the other two thingys - one is pictured in the manual (#2) - which is rather Spartan as far as instructions) - as connecting the spray bar and the tubing but it not named or numbered - I think I can show a better picture - hang on...

(as for part #1 - it may have to do with part two but it is not listed in the manual at all - unless it is this...

Wait - I'll put a new diagram - Thanks Tootless - it's not that hard in general but these mystery pieces make me worry that I won't get it operating correctly -

OK - here is the actual part - which does not look like the part in the manual that is unlabeled - (I am woking on the manual shot) -

mysterypart1.jpg

Here is the elbow connector - open tube - which, if I could get a picture of the manual sorted out - youmight be able to figure out!

elbowconnectorpart2.jpg

I will put a hyperlink to the manual.

[ :angry: Typische Duitsers] Everything is a secret with them - there is NO way for me to get this picture on here! (*^(&^%$*%$& :ignore

Ok - If anyone feels like it - you can go to www.Eheim.com (funny how it rhymes with German word for "secret" - geheim ...), Tech support, spare parts list, under filters, its the seventh one down (it's in PDF so if you ain't got Adobe, forget it)!

thanks slugger - that's what seems logival - bu tthe tube doesn't fit that well - unless one is really supposed to force it (or lube it)? And then, how does it connect to the spray bar - just stick the tube on the end? Then what is the connecting part between the spray bar and the elbow in the manual (of which I cannot get a picture). I feel so dumb - but I am usually not too bad at this... oh, well! :lol:

I think what the cave-picture is trying to depict is a section of the tubing - so, the tubing goes directly onto the spray bar and then is run thru elbow connector to keep it unkinked and then... that's it?!

It just seems strange becasue at no other part is any tubing attached without a clamp - so maybe because it is the only part underwater that helps the seal by pressurizing it so it is hermetcially sealed???

And then we still have the mystery part -

I had a look at the link, I think it's just for ordering spare parts and not very good at showing how to put it together.

Sorry, can't help very much. Perhaps you should just put the pipes together the best you can... :)

Slugger :)

Thanks for looking at the site! I'm with you on that - it's just pressure through a tube, right?! So, if the siphon gets going it will be fine.

There are two of these elbow connectors, one to hold a tube (into which my tube does not fit) and another which actually connects the tubes - and only one is listed is the manual - one non-specific elbow connector.

*The geheim manual (online) lists the tube elbow connector by part number - so I will use that and forget the hollow one - which is not listed anywhere...)

I'm going for it! Hopefully, I'll have news to report tomorrow (I mean, later today)!

IT WORKS!!! That did not take long at all - this thing is completely silent! (I had to turn off the AC to make sure it really was working)!

Graham was very curious while I installed it. When I switched off the powerhead (that was too strong), I swear I saw him smile! He is really enjoying his tank now without the constant tsunami he had before!

Wow! Were we missing out! This is great!

(Now, if only I can get Eheim to list all the parts they include!) Once I was clear about that, the set-up took twenty minutes, tops. And these double isolating valves will make media changes a cinch! Not that I will have to do it very often...

Thanks for your help and letting me talk myself through it - maybe this will help someone else who gets unlabeled parts! :rofl I'll put pix. when new decor done. :)

You did well, I was quite confused putting together my first cannister too.

It took ages to get mine to work because it's not automatically primed, in the end I had to suck on the output tube. :lol:

Whay!! Cans are great aren't they, and quiet. My air pump is the noisiest in my setup :)

Good point from Fishmerised on the priming.

Does this model self-prime?

The first cannister I got (no-brand) doesn't, but somehow I manage to get it to work by shaking it :) No way am I sucking on grim tank water!!

One I bought this year (come on Jebo!!) does!!

Post some "in-action" pics.

Slugger :)

:teehee - I think my hubby is not so mad about the "investment" since he heard how quiet it is! I told him the filter is silent - you are hearing the airpump!

PRIMING - was easy! Apparently you can spend more money to buy little appliance to get the siphon going, but even the directions themselves state you can just suck on the tube (honesty appreciated)!

So, that's what I did - I unhitched the double iso. valve at the middle on the pressure side, put the end attacthed to the canister in my mouth - drew a good (but not too deep - ha, ha Fishmerised :rofl Slugger - sunday I swallowed a mouthful of the grimmest tank water you have even seen ...) breath - and Voila! I did not even have to take apart my set-up or any clamped tubes to do it! No risk of sucking tank water becasue you aren't connected to the tank - Brilliant :D ! As soon as you hear the air clearing in the spray bar you can plug it in and that's it.

I think if I had ever set-up a canister, any kind, even once before it would have helped me a lot - I would have at least had confidence about what seemed to make sense! I just was so worried if I didn't get it right, I'd break it - ugh!

Thanks for the help! It was surprisingly easy and the directions, very short and simple (I like diagrams :D ) were pretty straightforward. Priming, easy! I would buy this again without any question - so far - ask me again in 6 months!

Here's the pix! (I'll fix the spray bar when I'm done redesigning). It looks nice and simple - I thought that much filter would be a bigger jumble of stuff.

Notice how GN is showing off! :rofl

25canister.jpg

25filterintank.jpg

25Eheimset-up.jpg

Archived