Snail Stuck In Filter!

Guest VanillaOranda

Guest VanillaOranda

Hi there!

I have an apple snail Gary along with my 2 goldies Evie (fantail) and Charlie (Chocolate Oranda) :newfish . This morning I saw gary's insides sucked into my filter-sucker thingy :blink: (oh yeah, that was precise) anyways, I was sure he was dead, :cry1 but I turned off the filter and pulled gently on his shell to get him out of there and sure enough the 'lil guy was pulling himself back in his shell too! :) But for the rest of the day, he just that in one position, stuck to the wall near where I put him back... :huh: Has this happened to anyone? He was quite an active snail before... could he just be traumatised?? Will he go back to normal? If anyone's had some similar experiences, I'd really like to know what to expect!!

thanks in advance

I Have never had this happen to me, but the snail could be injured and that may be why he is not moving. All you can really do is wait it out and hope he returns to his normal self. Keep an eye on him and if he moves at all. Keep the tank water very clean to help prevent any illness. Good luck with Gary and I hope he pulls through! :)

You mean the intake tube? That's happened to me a couple times. Now I have spongey-things over the tubes. Anyways, if it was his body in there, he might be more injured than what has happened to me, where it was mostly their operculums and a bit of their feet. I think the best thing to do is to watch him and wait and see what happens. Offer food to him as well, and I hope he gets better. :)

Give him about a day to relax, put some food by him. I found the best thing to get a snail to start moving around again is to put them in a large jar or container no filter, make sure the water stays still, after about a day or two he should be out of his shell. But b/c there is no filter you have to watch the water. Thats just what I found there is probably a better way, but I think once something happens to a snail is sorta goes into shock and with fish swimming around it, it just is to scared to come out. Good Luck! :)

:exactly give him a day or 2 in a separate container with perfect water conditions. he should recover just fine, snails are incredibly good at healing up given the right conditions. :) i had my old snail lose a good 1/4 of his foot once, and he healed up just fine in a few days. :D

Guest VanillaOranda

well, I put him in a seperate 1/2 gallon and he's much happier!!! I'm gonna leave him in for now 'til he's back to his usuall perky self, but it won't be long, he's eating well! Thanks soo much for the advice! And yeah, the first thing I did was put a sponge in front of the tube :)

Archived