Ok New Dilemma

Guest becka

Guest becka

Ok, this is my problem. I have a 79 gal goldy tank that has been set up for about 2 months. We are getting the floor in the same room tiled in September (I just found this out) and I have to move the tank out of there for at least 2 days. I want to start planning the move now so that I do everything right.

If anyone can please offer ANY suggestions, It would be greatly appreciated. I dont want any losses and hopefully a minimum off fuss. (I know it will be a huge task)

:thanks

Hmmm... how many fishies do you have? Has your tank cycled?

I guess I would just find as many buckets/rubbermaids as you can before hand. Maybe transfer the gravel into some new (never-been-soaped) knee-highs that you can hang in the tank, then move one to each container as you move fish into them. This would help keep some of your bio-bugs alive, and will help process the fish waste as well.

Of course, if your filter will fit on a container, put it on the container instead of the sock. Your tank is rather large, though... how powerful is/are your filter(s)? If they make too much current for your goldies in the smaller container, you could probably run them on buckets of fresh water, maybe "feeding" the buckets with fish food so as not to starve the bacteria.

If you have an air pump, maybe get a gang valve that will direct air to each of the buckets. Shouldn't be too expensive, I don't think, and will make the goldies happy.

And make sure you have extra test supplies so you can keep an eye on the water quality.

This is all just what I suppose I would do in that situation. I bet someone else has had to deal with moving a big tank o' fish... they'll come here soon and help out, too. And they'll tell you if I've got bad advice. :)

Good luck!

Guest becka

Ok Sorry..I always forget the minor details...

Tank size: 79 Gal

Fish: 7 (2x Ryukin, 2x Pearlscales, 2x Orandas, 1 x Bubble Eye) all around 1 inch

Filtration: 1 x Fluval 304, 1 x fluval 404 cannisters

Tank fully cycled (ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 10)

I was thinking, :hummm I have a 250 Litre drum spare that i used to use for water changes, could I drain most of the water into that and then hook up both cannister filters to keep them going? Should I put the majority of the gravel in there and hang the rest with the fish in the smaller tubs?

:thanks everyone in advance...I appreciate it.

Bec

Archived