Sick Fish?

Guest Slash

Sometimes when it is very bad it can be irriversable :( . Not only one treatment of peas will do, also stick a grain of epsom salt in there. Salt works as a great laxative, also you should try varying your fishes diet. Fish bladder Disease is mainly caused by more air in their body and setting them off balance. Whe you feed them do you soak your food for at least 2 mins? That is a must.

Hi slash and :welcome

I notice you have your fish in a bowl... do you have any filtration?

Also:

- do you have any test kits?

- if you have no filtration - do you change his water often? (needs to be changed everyday in a bowl with no filtration - 100%)

- have you any air in the bowl?

- do you use a tap water conditioner?

Sadly, bowls aren't the best environment for fish - as each fish needs roughly 10gallons to grow healthily...

I'm thinking it could be water issues - so if you would, it'd be great if you could answer as many of the questions in the white box above - this will help enormously when trying to figure out what is wrong.

My concern is his gills are open way too far and there appears to be red blood under the scales... all symptomatic of water problems.

So please post back soon :)

Guest Slash

Okay, My fault for not saying this. The Fish was in a 10 Gallon tank with i think like a whisper 10 gallon filter. The tank has been cleaned throughly with water changes and the water that is put in is filtered water (via a Pur Water Filter). The fish is about 7 years old so that could have something to do with it.

When I was a vvvv, my mother and I were given a product called Anti-Bacteria..thats descriptive...but its supposed to help with Dropsy, Ulcers and stuff like that.

The Reason the fish is in a bowl is because it is a "hospital" tank as my mom calls it.

The food is soaked and then left at the bottom of the tank.

As far as water testing goes, I haven't done any of that (since i lack the supplies) and yeah. I suppose thats a bad me mistake lol

Hi Slash! I would suggest buying some test kits (ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and Ph). If you can't afford them at the moment, you can bring a water sample to your petstore (vvvv, mmm etc) and they can take the readings for you. Be sure to have them write them down so that you can post them here.

Really, a bowl is not a suitable hospital tank. It's a bit too small to properly administer dosages of meds and it is very difficult to maintain proper parameters.

I agree that the bowl isn't suitable for a hospital, in fact it is probably making the fish worse.

I know that you answered a few of the questions above but we need you to answer them all, this information is very important.

Is there other fish in the 10 gal tank?

Not only do I think the SBD is a huge problem, I see red spots around the fins and on the belly, are these his normal coloring or are they new?

Guest Slash

Unfortunately..my 7 year old fish reached the end of its life span...so yeah...but the antibacterial stuff was helping it

I would like to thank everyone for their help and yeah...

Archived