Fin Regrowth After Illness

littleone78

Hi! I am a new fish owner and just joined the message board now. I just want to thank all of you for the information you provide here. Thanks to your help I was able to save one of my two fish from Ich and fin rot.

The fish who survived the whole ordeal, Cody, is a Pearlscale (according to vvvv, where I got him) and is orange with a few brown spots. His tail and lower fins on his stomach rotted and looked shredded while he was suffering from the Ich, now they are growing back - just after his tankmate died he started acting normal again and his fins are already growing back after just 2 days. My question is (I know, I know, get to the point, right?) his fins are growing back much darker and with way more brown spots than he had when I got him. Is this normal or is it a sign that he still may be sick?

Thanks for your help!!

~~Melissa~~

I'm sorry - I don't know your situation but just as an aside - if you had an ammonia spike with all of your troubles - ammonia burns are brown and turn black as they heal. I just wanted to let you know in case this was a possibility!

(You don't do anything special for them other than keeping the water perfect - but you're prob already doing that!)

:D

I'm doing an excelerated change out, since the water was so cloudy I changed out 50% after the first one died and now I am doing 20% every day. The water is considerably clearer. I have a test strip that shows nitrate, nitrite, pH, hardness and alkalinity... should I also get one for ammonia? How often should I test the water?

He seems so happy right now, he loves the oxygen stone I put in there - he is always swimming near it. He also seems to really like the frozen brine shrimp and the peas... He likes those more than the flakes.

Yes but get the 2 dropper bottle kit. (I too use the strips but I have dropper kits as a back up (anything that looks out of whack gets a double check as those strips aren't always so accurate. I like 'em 'cause I have young kids)

The only strip test I hate is the ammonia - you still have to add chemical so why not just use the good test the first time?

I'm glad he's doing better!!! :D

edit: Sorry I didn't answer the other question. When I'm cycling - I test water every day. When I first started I checked weekly & then bi weekly & then monthly. My tanks are well established now. I don't go out of my way to test unless I'm medicating or my fish are acting strangly)

Thanks!

To be totally honest, I got the test strips b/c they were the cheapest, and at the time I wasn't sure that they were going to make it. Plus, I've used strips and test kits like these before in school and at work.

I'll have to get myself to the pet store for the ammonia kit then.

Thanks again, I feel a lot better about what I've been doing up to this point.

Archived