How Can I Tell How Many Gallons

Anic

I'm going to take the gravel out of my tank soon because one of my fish has gotten two rocks lodged in his mouth. Someone told me (I forgot their name, but whoever you were you were really helpful) that I should have a filter that cleans 100 gal an hour, or something like that.

Can anyone tell me how to figure that out without removing my filter?

Thank you in advance!!!

I am assuming you have a 10 gallon tank - for 10 times an hour turnover is the minumum you need for a messy goldfish.

You can find out what brand and model of filter you have and look it up on the internet - they tell gallons per hour, or, barring that, you can actually measure what it will pump. I have filled a large tub with water and hung unknown filters or compromised filters over the side, so that they pump the water from the tub into a bucket that I have marked with gallon measurements. I usually measure how long it takes to pump 5 gallons of water (or 1 or what ever is easiest with your buckets and tubs) and then multiply it out. Example: If it takes 1 minute to pump 1 gallon, then you have a filter that does 60 gph.

Looking it up is far easier. Many brands have the gph in their name - the Penquin 300 pumps 300gph. The Emperor 280 does 280 gph, etc.....

:)

Lol! I've got a regent too! It's second hand so I don't really know the gph either. I got it with a hand book tho. *runs and gets handbood*

Okay, from the evidence I have gathered, Regent is a type of Aqua-tech filter. There are a couple modles out there. There is 5-15, 10-20, 20-40, and 30-60. If you look at the waterfall part, the 5-10 will be divided (water falling back into tank vs the intake tubecompartmet. 10-20 and 20-40 has a waterfall compartment that is about twice as big as the intake tube compartment. The 30-60 (what I have) is huge, and has two waterfall compartments with a small intake tube compartment inbetween the two. It also needs two cartridges.Also the models 5-10 and 30-60 have adjustable water flow. If you lift the intake tube up a bit, the flow will decrease; if you push it down all the way it will increase. The numbers are probably indicating the tank gallons its recomended for, but filter companies rarely base this on the guideline used for goldfish. I don't see anything about a website, but I'd try! They have an address tho, so you can mail them a letter asking about your question (I probably will) Here it is if you are interested:

Regent Pet Products

6100 Condor Drive, Moorpark CA 93021

Thank you. toothless already told me the gph for my tank.

People never base anything on goldfish. <_<

What do you mean? Tank model or filter model? Actually, do you want to just email me and ask? Just so we don't have to go back and forth on the board. My email should be visible to everyone else.

Archived