Question About My Gravel

Anic

Personally, I think it (the gravel) makes the tank look better. But one of my fish has gotten two rocks stuck in his mouth. I've posted both incedents, when he spit it back out and when my mom got it out. I was wondering, do I really need gravel in my tank? I'm just concerned that he'll try to eat another one and I won't be home to try to get it out.

(mom says I don't need gravel)

Guest Chishower

If you have enough filtration, you dont need it. However, good bacteria live on it so take it out slowly so that the filter bacteria can grow to cope with not having gravel.

Well, your mother is absolutely correct. :exactly

You don't need it. It isn't a necessity. In fact, quite a few goldfish keepers refuse to use much gravel because of how messy goldfish can be. But, it really comes down to a matter of tastes and opinions.

For goldfish, the gravel, if used, should either be too small to get stuck in the smallest goldies mouth or too large to get stuck in the largest goldies mouth. This is the way to keep using the aesthetically pleasing gravel and keep from having incidents with gravel getting stuck in their mouths.

While it is true that you don't need gravel, it should be noted that you should have top-notch filtration if you plan on going barebottomed. You should be providing at least 100 gallons per hours in filtration for every ten gallons of tankwater. Even then, removal of the gravel should be gradual. Gravel can and will house lots of the beneficial bacteria that keeps your water clean for you. The rest is in the filter. The key is to remove the gravel slowly so that the beneficial bacteria in the filter can compensate for the loss of bacteria in the gravel. In short, if you go barebottomed, remove the gravel over the course of a week. Not all at once.

If you decide to switch to a different gravel, try using pantyhose toes to place all the old gravel into, tie it off and let it stay in the tank. Then add your new gravel. Wait one week and then remove the old gravel in the pantyhose. This wuill allow a buffer period for beneficial bacteria to grow in the new gravel before you remove the old.

Hope this helps! :D

PAul

It does, thanks. But I was wondering: how can I tell how many gallons my filter filters and hour? It's a tank/hood/filter thing I bought at nooppee and I don't think the box said. But we're going back on thur. so I'll check when I go back to check out the Bettas. When I find it, I'll post it. Thanks again!! :happydance

Just tell me the name that is on the back of the aquarium hood. Its probably one of the eclipse tanks with buit in filter. But I need to know the size of the tank. With that info, I can tell you what the GPH is.

If it is indeed one of the eclipse systems, you can be assured that your gph is just about at the threshold of acceptable for goldfish. But, if your overstocked, you may want to invest in a small sponge filter to help out with the bio-load. Especially if you plan in going gravel-less. But, there are ways of beefing up your bio-filtration in your filter. You can get aquarium vacuum bags and stuff them with bio-media like ceramic rings, pea-sized lava rock and the like. Then you can place the bags inline in your filter so that the water has to course through the bags and bio-media. If im not mistaken, there should be room for it somewhere in the filter.

Good luck! :D

My tank is a 10 gal. The back of the hood says Regent. The tank is overstocked, but no one knew that when my mom's boyfriend got my fish. (I wasn't with them, I was at school)

Thank you!!

Regent (aquatech) filters are actually made in the same warehouse as the penguin (marineland) filters. They are essentially the same filters. So, if you have a hood with a built in filtration unit, you probably have the exact size filter that the marineland/eclipse systems employ. This translates into you probably having enough bio-filtration for your sized tank. However, the oversrowdng factor should be changed soon.....

Good luck! :D

Archived