What Is The Best Way...

Anic

Today, while my sister was playing games in my room, she noticed that one of my fish got ANOTHER rock lodged in his mouth. I fished him out and tried to get it out with a pair of tweezers, but the rock was too round. So I took my fishie to my mom. She took a shish-ka-bob (?) SKEWER and put it through his GILL to push the rock out! The fish is fine, and my mom is the coolest for saving my fishie. I know that that is definetly not a good way to get out a rock.

My question: What is the best way to get a rock out without hurting the fish?

If he does it again the only thing I can do is put him in a gravel-less tank, and I don't want to do that because the only other tank I have is 1 gallon (for Bettas) which is currently empty.

Any help would, well, help. Thanks!

:clapping: WoW!! You Mom is the greatest!! You need to give her a bunch of hugs for that great rescue!!

Way ta go MoM!!! :exactly

Seriously, go Mom! Very cool! Excellent under pressure, very good surgical skills... we need more fish vets out there!

Basically, you can remove the rocks altogether or you can change them out for bigger ones. I would not put the goldie in the one gallon tank. (Maube I misread that...)?

I just removed GN's rocks - for fear of choking (he grew so big that the rocks I bought to be too big for his mouth now fit perfectly!) - I have no idea if I did it "right" but I just took them out! I scooped them up with my (very clean) hands! That's it! I did move him into a bucket of his own water (water siphoned form the top before disturbing the rocks) so in case any bad gases or something got stirred up, he would be ok.

I did a massive water change and salted a little more than usual to get any nasties that may have been under the rocks. I have been watching him very closely (since Sunday evening) to see if is getting sick. But, so far, he seems fine - KNOCK WOOD!

I will put a few large river rocks on the bottom but it will be essentially a bottomless tank. I was told by an expert a little trick that I will employ when I put in the new rocks - I will put some of the old ones (which I have kept in fresh water) in bags and hang them in the tank for a few days to help keep the new rocks from driving up the pH.

Any comments on that tactic? Any other great advice on how to remove rocks? Please tell Anic if I did anything bad so she can avoid it! Thanks!

Seriously, go Mom!  Very cool!  Excellent under pressure, very good surgical skills... we need more fish vets out there!

Basically, you can remove the rocks altogether or you can change them out for bigger ones.  I would not put the goldie in the one gallon tank.  (Maube I misread that...)?

I just removed GN's rocks - for fear of choking (he grew so big that the rocks I bought to be too big for his mouth now fit perfectly!) - I have no idea if I did it "right" but I just took them out!  I scooped them up with my (very clean) hands! That's it! I did move him into a bucket of his own water (water siphoned form the top before disturbing the rocks) so in case any bad gases or something got stirred up, he would be ok.

I did a massive water change and salted a little more than usual to get any nasties that may have been under the rocks.  I have been watching him very closely (since Sunday evening) to see if is getting sick.  But, so far, he seems fine - KNOCK WOOD!

I will put a few large river rocks on the bottom but it will be essentially a bottomless tank. I was told by an expert a little trick that I will employ when I put in the new rocks - I will put some of the old ones (which I have kept in fresh water) in bags and hang them in the tank for a few days to help keep the new rocks from driving up the pH.

Any comments on that tactic?  Any other great advice on how to remove rocks? Please tell Anic if I did anything bad so she can avoid it! Thanks!

368251[/snapback]

i did that too... fish seem fine..

i was wondering.. the pic of the big tank in you siggy? the river rocks at the bottom.. well thats what my tank is like, but cleaning it is doing my head in! i cant get all the poo out from under the stonesi have to shove the syphon in between a couple of stones and suck out anything thats in that space.. but to do alllllll the poo would take so much time it would take out more than all the water in the tank! iv even considerd taking them all out while doing water changes, but i dont think this is wise!

I cleaned out my rocks that way too, I just stuck my hand in and pulled them out, I left Cody in the tank. It almost seemed like he enjoyed it - he swam circles around my hand.

I took mine out b/c I noticed that he was pushing them around and making openings where he could see the bottom of the tank. So, I just left a little bit of gravel in to hold the plant down. He likes that much better.

That was great of your mom, Anic! Good thinking under pressure...

Another way to remove rocks is to use on of those tags that the price tags are hooked onto clothes with; I personnally have never had to use it, though, I read about it in one of BigRed's topic's:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=32746

Hope this helps!

I had read about that. The rock was too round, we couldn't get anything around it. Thanks though. He hasn't tried to eat any more rocks. I took most of them out and piled the rest in a corner under big rocks.

Good plan. I have to do that with the river rocks cause sometimes if I disturb them, the smaller rocks get on top. I, of course realized this late at night, and had to mess with the tank before I could sleep soundly.

Archived