Hole In Side Or Tuberculosis?

Guest Wilder

Guest Wilder

I seem to have no manner of luck with white goldfish. The first died of ich, and the one I got to replace him isn't doing much better, and I'm not entirely sure what he has.

This white Ryukin was released into a 25 gallon half-barrel water garden with a calico Ryukin. The calico is doing fine, fat, eating, etc. The white one was doing fine up until yesterday, when temperatures outside were near 100. The pond water got quite warm, but I did a small water change in the evening to help cool it a bit and to filter out anything that might have gotten to bad levels during the heat of the day.

Well, right before doing the water change I noticed the white Ryukin hanging out at the top, and he had what appeared to be some discolouration of the scales on his side. They looked pinkish, with tiny flecks of a gold-red colour surrounding it. A couple of scales were also sticking out, but not like dropsy. One of his gills was also a fairly purple-pink colour, which surprised me as the other was fine and the calico shows no signs at all of any problems.

Either way, I did the small water change and fed them, and they were happy to gobble down their brine shrimp. I hoped it was just a bit of stress from the heat, but when I went to check on them today, the white one was again near the top and the discolouration has gotten worse. In fact, it looks like part of the scales/flesh was just plucked away from the body. Also, he seems to have a bit of black shading to the scales on his chin/throat area, as if he rubbed against soot or something.

Also to note, neither of the fish are gasping for air; the calico is swimming around as usual, and the white one is just hanging at the surface, but not gasping.

I took pictures, but can't get the stupid program to download them from the camera, so as soon as I manage that I'll post them. I hope that's all clear enough. I'm extremely worried it could be tuberculosis, but read around and saw it could be hole-in-side? I wish I knew. I've been careful to wash my hands well after handling anything from the pond, but darn it, this is no fun. :(

The stats are: 25 gallon half-barrel water garden, planted, has a decorative pump that also aerates and filters. I've been doing a 30% water change every week and a half or so, and the ammonia/nitrite are 0; not sure the nitrates, as that test seems to have expired and I won't trust the readings from it, but even so it measures in okay levels. I'll be picking up a new one tonight or tomorrow, though. Can't be without good test kits.

For feeding they eat whatever hatches/falls into the water, supplemented every three days with brine shrimp or blood worms. They also eat algae and nibble on the plants in the pond.

If this is TB, I'll have to destroy the poor white fish, but what about the calico? I don't want to live in fear of compromising my other tanks, but about the only way I can prevent that it seems is to destroy all the fish in contact with the sick one, break down the pond, sterilize it, and then start over again.

This is really not shaping up to be a good day. :(

I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that it is TB. I think a fish with TB would be showing other symptoms and not just one ulcer. It could be a bacterial ulcer since the water is getting so warm.

I would put on a pair of rubber gloves (for your peace of mind), and lift the fish above the water. I would then swab the area with hydrogen peroxide (buy the 3% solution that you use for wounds). I would also double the water changes and do 30% every four days or so. Hot weather can cause bad bacteria to really flourish in your water. Also, if you have medicated food such as MediGold or Metro Med, I would feed either of those for two weeks.

Could you shade the water to try and keep it cooler ?

Archived