How Do You Prepare Oyster Shells For Use.

scriber

• 8 years later...

I've gotten a 20lb. bag of crushed oyster shells from my local farm store. Its originally used for egg development in laying hens. I've used it in my rift lake african cichlid tanks and my ponds to raise ph. All i did was thoroughly rinse it before adding it " in a sock" ro the filter.

I also do not know how you would prepare them. But here is a link to another post asking a similar thing about oyster shells. http://www.kokosgold...-oyster-shells/

In this link it mentions bleaching and/or boiling them for preparation. I have just done some reading on how they work in terms of altering the pH, so boiling them should be fine but it may reduce the 'life span' of the shells ability to alter the pH and keep it stable.

You can crush them up and add them to your gravel, but as it was mentioned by demonspawn, it will be easier for you to add them to your filter and a lot more convenient to clean and replace when needed.

Alternatively, you can also use coral to alter your tanks pH, which is a lot more common to use here so it should be no problem getting information on that.

Archived