Taking My Fish Back To School...

Guest starpetals27

Guest starpetals27

Hi all, I just had a quick question reguarding my move back into a dorm in a (gulp) a few weeks. Last year, I had some troubles getting the water in the dorm to be good to my fishies, it's really gross water! I was curious if any one had any experiance with using bottled water (spring or distilled?). The extra cost of the gallons of water wouldn't be anything compared to the peace of mind of knowing that I'm not filling my tanks with hazardous waste. (Well, thats a bit of an exaggeration, but it felt like it at times!) Does anyone know about using bottled water instead of tap? Thanks so much!!

Yes - my sister had a bad experience with one of her first bettas, because we didn't realize that bottled spring water can have a very different ph to the water your fish are used to. And ph shock can be dangerous, or even fatal. So you must be sure to test the spring water for ph, and possibly also nitrites and nitrates. If it turns out that the ph is very different, you will have to acclimatize your fish slowly (as Deirdre did for Rubeus). If the particular brand of bottled water has nitrites, you're better off not using it at all. Bottled water *can* be a good choice, but you do have to be careful about those things. HTH!

BTW, once your fish are used to the bottled water, you'll just need to test it occasionally to be sure the ph, etc, hasn't changed.

Dont use distilled, its TO refined, and doesnt have many of the good minerals adn what not fishes need.

As said before, bottled water can have a different pH and other qualities from your tap, so what I would do is, hual along about 60-90% of your tanks valume in tap water, set it up.. and then slowly, do small 5-10% water changes every day or two to introduce the new water. that way the fish should be able to adjust.

but perhaps someone else will disagree with me?

Guest starpetals27

Thanks to everyone! I think I'm going to start off by testing the bejeebus out of the dorm water, and see just how bad it really is, before I try to introduce the different pH's of the bottled water. If it is as bad as last year, I will introduce the bottled water as described to me (not distilled). One of my goldies is a pretty hardy fish ( dealt with a lot of mistakes I put him through in my earlier goldfish keeping days :( ) But my other fish ( a rescue case) is just healing from a bout of fin rot and ick and I don't want to do anything that might threaten his recovery process. So if the dorm water isn't too bad, i think instead of bringing along lots of bottled water, im going to fill bottles up with water from home ( better quality then the dorms) and use that to fill the tanks in order to get Zeus and Peepers used to the dorm water. Does this sound like a decent plan? Thanks again!!!

Guest starpetals27

Thanks! It'll be a funny scene, while other students are carting tvs and futons, I'll be walking in with rubbermaid upon rubbermaid of empty water! Thanks to everyone!

Archived