What Filter?

Guest Deliriumfish

Guest Deliriumfish

Hi, i've just found out my tank is overcrowded, not sure what to do as i can't afford another tank (rented house-no room!!) So i thought a better filter might work. What size filter is recommended? Can anyone recommend a good filter for goldfish? Is there a sort of size of filter per number of fish and tank size type guide or rule??

What do other people use? My current filter is about 25cm tall and has 3 foam pads in it for the bacteria to grow on, sorry that's all i know about it as it came with the second hand tank. It is new and hasn't cycled yet.

is the filter attached inside to the wall of the tank or can you pull it out? do you know how many gallons the tank holds at all?

Guest Deliriumfish

oh, we've found a picture of it on the filter pads we buy, and they're called Fluval so i guess the filter is too.

What would be a good one to buy?

fluval doesnt give much of a turnover so i would suggest getting another of the same size to run beside it. idesally you need a turnover of 10 times the tank capacity.

SAndy is right.....you need the minimum of 10 times turnover of the water every hour for good filtration of a goldie tank.

However, your original question is whether extra filtration will help an overcrowded tank - and the answer is a qualified yes. It is definately beneficial to over filter an overcrowded tank.

The 10 gal per fish rule of thumb is made because the filtration and water volume is such that the average filter can hold enough beneficial bacteria to process the average amount of waste one fish will produce in one week in a 10 gallon tank. If any parts of this equation change, then your fishkeeping equipment or routines need to change to accomodate the needs.

In an overcrowded tank, there are a lot of fish that are producing a lot of waste. You can build your bio-filtration to a large enough level in many overcrowded condtions (not the extreme fish load though! ;) ), such that it is capable of processing all the waste into nitrates. More filters, that pump more water through the colonies of beneficial bacteria will feed the ammonia to all the bacteria and allow them to process the waste. If the bacteria in your filters does not come in contact with enough of the waste - the fish produce it faster than you can pump it through the filters and the bacteria can process it, no amount of beneficial bacteria can clean your tank. They have to have access to the waste. To do this, you need to pump a whole lot more water to them every hour.

So, in a 30 gallon that that has say for example , 5 larger fish in it, I would aim at at least 15-20 times an hour, (450-600gph) in filters that have plenty of room for extra bacteria platforms. A filter that hangs inside the tank has the added problem that is is utilizing water volume of the tank - water volume that the fish really need. I would not recommend getting another "in-th-tank" type filter if you have other options.

Instead, I would recommend that you look into a hang over the back type filter, one such as an Emperor 400 or so. This type allows you to place multiple sources of bio-media into the filter - a biowheel as well as baskets that can hold platform for you. It is a biological workhorse and will do a good job. This, combined with your Fluval, should do the trick for an overstocked tank.

Remeber, though, once you build up that magnificent biological filter it is going to process all your fish's waste so well that you are going to get massive amounts of nitrates in your tank. You will need to be particularly diligent in water changed - larger and more frequent to keep the nitrates under control.

It can be done, it just required a little more equipment, a little understanding where you are going in filtration, and a WHOLE LOT MORE WORK.

Good luck! :)

Archived