Betta Tank Size?

Guest Deliriumfish

Guest Deliriumfish

ive read things about how although Betta's can live in a small space, like a vase or jar, they won't thrive or be happy there.

i only have space for a fairly small second tank and was considering getting a Betta but i want it to be a decent size for it, what is the smallest recommended tank where a Betta would still be healthy and happy?

What size tank do you guys have?

Can they live in pairs? Ive never seen a female Betta for sale.

Thanks

where about in the uk are you?

my halfmoon betta is in a plastic four gallon with a sponge filter and small heater as they need high temperatures. make sure a lid is always on.

males do better on their own and like to have a plant or something floating so they can rest. a small cave is useful too as life in a small tank can get very boring!!

females have shorter tails and can be kept singly or in groups but you would need a bigger tank to do that.

hope that helped :)

lets see, I usually keep mine in one gallon (us) containers, though have kept some in 1/2 gallon's for short periods of time, with bi-weekly water changes. :)

Guest Chishower

Mine are all in 1/2 or 1 gallons, and with regular water changes they are thriving. In fact, when I put them in a larger rubbermade to change water (one at time) they freak out and get pale, even though the water is perfectly matched.

I have one in a 5 gallon and getting another one once my tank cycles then i will have one in a 1 gallon also. I think the smallest size that the can live in would be a one gallon. A 1/2 is cutting it but I think it would be okay so long as your did water changes almost everyday. :)

I've got a three gallon for one betta, and I'm going to get a filter for it soon :)

The petstore closest to us takes good care of their bettas (sadly not the other fish) and has a very good selection! They are alway healthy, bright colored, fully finned and active. They always have beautiful females and every color you can dream of! They occasionally have crowntails...I saw a female black crowntail once..I should have nabbed her!!!! The far away petstore is the exact opposite; poor selection, sick fish, and they NEVER change the water. :(

:) The majority of my Betta's are in 2.5's and 5 gals. They seem to do best in those for me.I personally found with mine that smaller tanks,and 100% water changes totally freaked them out.Now they have bigger tanks,with heater's/filter's,and I don't have to change out all of the water,just small amounts.This works for me anyway. :D

Archived