Pet Shop Water?

fondoo

Guest ThugLife

ya you should never add pet shop water into your tank

if you get a new fish, just float the bag in your tank so that the fish gets used to the temp for 10 mins

then add the fish

ACtually, I think it was Wynkin who posted a very marvelous method of getting a fish ready for the qt tank.

When you get your new fish home. Fasten the bag on the side of the tank and add a scoop of tank water to the bag. Wait a bit, and take out a scoop of water from the bag and add another scoop of tank water to the bag. Keep doing this - for after a while you will have slowed introduced the new fish to the new water parameters he will be living in.

When that is done, gently lift the fish from the bag into the qt tank and discard all the water from the bag. This will limit the number of parasites/nasties that are transferred to your tank.

I like to do an intermediary salt dip for the new fish before introducing it to the qt tank also. 1/2 cup salt to 1 gal water for 5 minutes, then the fish is lifted into the qt tank.

:) HAppy new fish!!!!!

ewww....Pet Store water....lol I never put that water in my tank. I usually have a bowl(now a permanent 2.5 gal tank) that I have half filled with water from my main tank and then I float the bag in that tank for about 5 minutes. I then open the bag and add a little of the tank water to it. After 5 minutes I add some more water. Then, I put the fish in the QT. After a day or two of observation, I will introduce him to his/her new home if all is well.

Archived