10 Gallon Rule Help!

Guest Deliriumfish

Guest Deliriumfish

Hi i was just wondering, seeing as i keep being told off for having an overcrowded tank (remind me to stop telling people my tank size! :) ) Is the 10 gallon per goldfish rule for all goldfish reguardless of size?? Cuz it doesn't seem to make sense and so im a bit confused. I thought maybe it was just for fully grown goldfish? Or do they need a lot more space??

Thanks

10 gallons for a fancy goldie would see it through a few years of life but as with any fish the more the better. a common goldie at a couple of inches would need around 15 gallons and then as it grew so would its need for space. a full grown goldie would eventually reach around a foot in length and should be in a pond. a fancy though, still can grow to around 6 inches depending on type (some getting to around a foot) but because they arent a fast swimming fish then their need for so much space is less, but 10 gallons really is what i would call a minimum for one fish..

Guest defrost3

Though they will definitely probably prefer a lot of space whenever they are grown, they should do fine if they are really small. When I got my fish from my friend, she gave me both of them in a 10 gallon tank, they were about 4 inches big or more and had been that way in that 10 gallon tank for quite awhile. I wouldnt suggest putting such large fish in such a small tank, but the point is they lived and were fairly happy until they got a bigger tank.

Hi and Welcome to Kokos!

I think of Kokos as a friendly place so I feel badly that someone would be rude to you about tank size. :unsure: We have to remember that we all started somewhere and often it was goldfish in a bowl. :o

It is relative of course, tiny goldies will be fine in a smaller tank but they can and do grow fast when given more space, good filtration, proper food and regular partial water changes.

As goldies get large, it is much easier to care for them when the tank size is bigger. It is hard to imagine a 7" or 8" goldie in a 10 gallon tank, let alone 2 or 3 of them crowded together.

:D

As goldies get large, it is much easier to care for them when the tank size is bigger.  It is hard to imagine a 7" or 8" goldie in a 10 gallon tank, let alone 2 or 3 of them crowded together. 

:D

368048[/snapback]

:saywhat That hurts just thinking about it! poor guys! 10 gallons is defenately a rule to live by. Oh and btw :welcome

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of putting 5 little gold fish in a 10g tank. I lost all of them. I have heard of people who have kept that many, but they do water changes every 3 days. good luck

:unsure: I really can't imagine that anyone told you off,but if you feel that way,then we're definately sorry for that. This is a pretty good site,and chances were more that people just want to help,so please don't take offense, ;) WHen goldies are small,it's real easy to see them in a 10 gal. tank. I have used my own experience before and told of it. I adopted baby Orandas when they were very tiny/ young.In one year,the biggest has grown over 8 inches,one is now around 6 inches or so,and the last is coming really close. We try to make people realize just how fast a goldfish is capable of growing. By putting multiple goldfish in 10 gal. tanks, it lessons your ability & chances even more for keeping the water pristene/keeping fish at their healthiest,and giving them the best chance at growing to their fullest size. The more room you give your fish,the healthier they will be ... :D

Archived