How Much

Guest MrMatt

Guest MrMatt

I have my aquarium at 3% salt level for the time being. My question is, when I do water changes how much salt do I add back to keep it at 3% as opposed to keeping it at 1%?

Hi Matt. :)

I certainly hope that you mean your tank is at 0.3% and not 3%. :o

To keep your tank at a solid 0.3% and still want to do waterchanges, you need to bring the salinity of freshly drawn tapwater to the same as what is in the tank. To do this:

Measure and dissolve exactly 2 and 3/4 level teaspoons per US gallon. Draw the water from the tap, dechlorinate and make sure its temperature matched. Then, you add the salt and dissolve it completely. Once you have brought the salinity of the new water up to 0.3%, it is then ready to pour into the tank.

Remember that salt cannot be filtered out. Nor can it evaporate. So, you must be very precise about your additions, measurements and all. Don't worry if the level creeps a tad higher or lower than your target solution. The exact % of salt isn't as important as the duration of treamtment.

Good luck and I hope this helps! :)

Guest MrMatt

Hi Toothless,

This is probably going to sound stupid to you but here it goes anyway. How come 2 3/4 teaspoons per gallon for 0.3%? If you are suppose to put in 1 teaspoon per gallon for 0.1% how come you don't put in 3 teaspoons per gallon for 0.3%? And while I am asking, I might as well ask my second stupid question on this subject. If you are suppose to put in 1 teaspoon per gallon for 0.1% then why do some people say you can put in 1 TABLEspoon per 5 gallons to accomplish the same thing? If 3 teaspoons eqaul 1 tablesoon wouldn't that only be 3 teaspoons per five gallons making it less than the 1 teaspoon per gallon rule? :blink:

I never was all that good at math. :huh:

Not stupid at all! In fact, that is a question that causes MUCH controversy when dealing with dosages of salt.....

As I stated before, the precise % of salt in the water isn't nearly as important as the duration. So, salt additioons were simplified (or they at least tried). Also, the fact that UK versions of gallons and other measuremens are different than US versions, adds fuel to this confusion.

Ok, if you were using UK standards, you would add 1 UK teaspoon per gallon to get 0.1%. Conversely, you would add 3 UK teaspoons (or one UK tablespoon) to one UK gallon to get a 0.3% solution.

If you are using US standards, 2 1/2 US teaspoons (sorry for the typo earlier) per US gallon will reap you 0.3%.

1 tablespoon (US) per 5 gallons does not reap you 0.3% at all. Period, not even if you used a fine grade of salt.

I hope this helps!

Paul

Guest MrMatt

Hey Toothless,

Unfortunately, it still doesn't make much sense to me. I really don't get the whole US vs UK thing. However, I am sure you know what you are talking about and I will take your word for it. I just wish there was some kind of chart to follow on these things to make it easier. Thanks for all your time, you have really been helpful.

:thanks

Matt

Archived