Aquarium Tank Manufacturers?

Guest alexis421

Guest alexis421

Hi!

As you can see I'm a newbie. Just a quick question... I'm going to get a 25 gallon tank, but I'm not sure which brand to go for as I'm not familiar with aquarium tank manufacturers to say the least (still many, many more to learn!!!) :D:cry1 Also, I'm debating on whether to get Penguin, Emperor or Aqua Clear filters? Which is the better one for a 25 gallon? What exactly should I get?

Thanks, to kokosgoldfish and the many invaluable postings of everyone here, I have learned a lot. I must say that I'm getting pretty addicted to this website.. My husband's even complaining that I spend too much time here. ;)

Thanks in advance!!

Ha, ha! I just saw that after I typed all that long message - (I can't type)! :rofl

I was just worried that you had already bought the 12!

I don't use power filters but people seem to really like the Marinleland ones - to which I would be partial having all these Eclipse tanks (I also have two three gallons) - they make both the Emporer and the Penguin power filters. Other names I hear a lot are Whisper and Aquaclear. But, you will have to wait for the others to chime in on that!

As far as tanks, I think they are all pretty much the same - GN's 20 was donated to him by a friend so I never went proper tank shopping! His is a Perfecto (may be owned by marineland) and the other big brand is Top Fin. That's all I know on that front! Sorry I could not be more help - but I thought youmight want at least two fish :lol: so, good for you for getting it right! honestly, it soesn't seem that worth it to bother with anything under 20 gallons when it comes to goldies!

:welcome

PS - I just read that Toothless does not like Whisper filters very much - he's one of the fish gurus around here - that woul dmake me reconsider getting one! :exactly

Aquaclears are good filters. I have an aquaclear 70 and an intenal power filter. I've found this combination works quite well and collects a lot more poop and other material than just one filter. I HIGHLY recommend two filters than just one biggy. ;)

Sorry can't help you with tank manufacturers, most of the ones around here are generic glass types. I asked my local fish store guy about who makes the tanks they sell and was told that the manufacturer had 30 plus years experience and as far back as the guy could remember no one had had any problems with them.

Good luck with the 25, getting new tanks is good fun.

Guest alexis421

Graham, I also have an eclipse 3. I've had it for 2 years now but I only had platies in there. They all died a long time ago and never really replaced it with anything else after that. I was contemplating on putting 1 gf in there, but good thing I came across kokosgoldfish and from what I've read, 10 gallons/fancy gf, I finally decided w/ a 25 gallon instead. Big jump, huh? :D I'm VERY,VERY excited to get my :newfish !!!!!!

I saw All-Glass Aquarium and I think they look good. Do you know if Perfecto and Top Fin have their website? I guess I'll just go0gle it.

Benno, are you saying I should get 2 Aquaclear 70 for my 25 g? What's an internal filter? Isn't Aquaclear one? Sorry, this may be a stupid question.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!

Top fin, as far as I've been able to discern, is vvvv's in-house brand. I'm not sure who actually makes the tanks. I do know, for example, that the "Regent" filters at nnnnnn are actually old-model Penguins. Marineland just doesn't want you know know that. :)

I think most tanks are generally created equal, from what I've seen. If it holds water, I'd go for it. :)

I don't know if anyone has mentioned Eclipse systems...But they are top notch in my opnion. I would definatly recommend the Emperor or the Penguin filters. And who could live without a Pyhton!!! GESSSH Wish I woulda know bout those ages ago!!....LOL the ol bucket-o-water method gets tiring.... :thud

The tanks at nnnnnn seem to work just fine also, I had 2 of them so far.

When are you planning on getting the tank or did you already? Keep us posted!!!! No such thing as a stupid question around here!! We are all here to help!! I had so many questions when I first started on here I thought everyone would want to kick me.....LOL...But everyone is so nice and helpful!! Ask away..... :goodluck:happydance

Guest alexis421

Thanks, for all the replies. I will get the tank this weekend. Actually, I have a friend who will get it for me coz he knows a dealer and can get it cheaper. Lucky me!! :D He said all I have to do is tell him what I like and he will get it. Thus, this post. :)

On filter: I'm debating on whether to get one Whisper PF10 and one Whisper PF20 or one Penguin 200B and one Penguin 100B. Can anyone tell me which is better performance and less noisy.

On Air pump: Rena 200(is this good enough for a 25g?) or Whisper(don't know which model). Do you have a better suggestion? I'm getting confused with so many brands out there. :krazy:

Thanks for any input you can give! :D

I have had quiet Whispers and loud Whispers, quiet Penguins and loud Penguins as well as quiet Aquaclears and loud Aquaclears.

Whisper filters are decent basic filters. I like them because they're filter media is very cheap to replace.

I have two of the new Penguin 350Bs and they feel like they are built better than the Whispers and Aquaclears. I love the bio-wheels also and on the 350B, you are able to double up on the media similar to Emperiors. Not sure about the smaller versions, but the older Penguins I have only allow for 1 filter pad. Only things I don't like is that there's no flow adjuster and the media is a little more expensvie.

The Aquaclears are nice because you can customize the filter media chamber. I just use 2 sponges and ceramic rings. The sponges last forever so you could save money by rinsing them. I just feel that the sponges don't catch as much detritus as the Penguin and Whisper filters.

They are all reliable filters with pros and cons. On my two gold fish tanks, I use a combination of both a Penguin and Aquaclear filter.

The 2nd from the smallest Rena should be perfect for your tank. Sorry, I dont remember the model off hand. You could always get a valve to vent off some excess air if the pump is too strong.

While we're on topic of equipment, I've used many Visi-therm heaters with no problems.

Guest squeeker

I really love my aquaclear filters. I've never had a problem with one.

As for tanks, I think they are all created equal (Except for Oceanic, as they are "Premium").

Enjoy your new tank!

Archived