How Does This Sound?

Guest becka

Guest becka

Hi guys. I'm new around here so.....HOWDY!

Ok, I've just turned my 5ft tank into a GF tank (I think it's 75gal or 300lt)So far I've got:

1 x Fluval 304 Cannister

1 x Fluval 404 Cannister

A mixture of fake and live plants

(Planning to put a bubble wall all the way across the back of the tank)

1 x Bubble eye GF

2 x Pearscale GF

2 x Oranda GF

2 x Ryukin GF and

a small sucker fish (grey, not sure what its called)

They are all around 1 inch in size.

My question is, does this sound ok and do I need a heater? My LFS says if I get the water to around 22 deg C, they will grow faster. Also, whats the go with "goldy salts?"

What are your thoughts? Would you say this is the maximum fish I could have? I'm Still learning and would appreciate your comments.

I have kept tropical and marine fish for about 3 years so I know a bit, but Ive never had fancy GF b4.

Thanks

Bec

:welcome Sounds like a pretty sweet set-up! The only thing I can think of is what kind of suckerfish do you have? If it is a little otocinculus (dwarf) then you may need to think about moving him out when the goldies get bigger. Also, bubble eyes have a much harder time competing for food (because they can't see it) so you may want to take extra care making sure he gets dinner, too! I'm sure you have thought about protecting his precious eye bubbles by battenting any sharp objects that might harm him...

The generel ROT (Rule of Thumb) is about 10 gallons per fish. Since you have some nice filtration going, you might be able to add another one or two! I personally think it is better to be a little understocked becasue they grow SO fast!

Be sure to visit the tropicals forum to add some wisdom! Enjoy your goldfish! :newfish

Guest becka

Thanx for the reply...will try to post some pics and get an ID on the suckerfish. Yup have made all possible considerations towards the bubble eye. Even though he cant see well he's still good at "sniffing " the food out. Quite a funny sight.

Hey as far as the one fish per 10 gallons rule goes, are you guys talking UK gal or US gal? Because if my calculations are right..if I have a 79 gal tank...that would technically only be 66 UK gal, which would equate not to 8 fish, but 6 <_< ....catch my drift? Any comments would be a great help.

Thanx again

Bec

Usually, you can assume gallons stated are US gallons unless otherwise specified. A UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons. Are you in the US or abroad? I mean, what size is your tank in the terms in your country? If youa dd one or two more fish to that set up, then you would have five or six total - not eight! So, we need to figure out waht size your tank is...

Heylo Becka!

Well first I want to commend you for actually checking FIRST before making the decision to keep goldies; LOL, I wish I'd have been that smart! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd agree with what Graham said all the way, those poor bubble eyes would be lucky if they ever ate! All goldies are pigs, but lemme' tell you Orandas seem to have a special gene bred into them that makes them the piggiest of all! :D

And I really second the "understocked" idea....when you're first starting a goldie tank it's amazing how much waste they produce, and the ammonia can burn them and kill them QUICK! And as if it wasn't hard enough to go through that, then they have to live through the nitrates....SOOO on the whole I would say go with understocked; that means you can keep 2 or 3 places for those little ones you'll no doubt run across over the next couple of months, that you just "can't go home without" ! LOL! Been there, and done that a 100 times! Good Luck, Goldies are the Best! :heart

Guest becka

Im from Australia so we usually go by litres. I know its 300 lt. (I dont have the measurements handy) I did one of thse online conversion thingys and it came out with 79 US gal. So would that mean I could have 8 fish in total? I appreciate your help Graham... :thanks

Yup! (So that's where the 8 figure came form...) But, I would stick to 6 regulars - I think Oranda :heart has point - there's always some little guy wiggles his way into your heart and you CANNOT leave the store without him! I happens to all of us! Experienced people can be a little overstocked for a little bit of time - a little - but I figure, why rock the boat?

There is also an international forum here so all the aussies can compare local stores, discuss conversion rates, etc. There are people from all over the world here - that's part of what makes Koko's so fun! Goldfish are FABU everywhere! :D

Hi and welcome,

I think you'll do great with that sized tank!!

Just make sure your pleco is well fed, otherwise it will pick on the goldies, probably the bubbleye first :( (I would separate him)

Keep an eye on the ammonia/pH levels as the fish get bigger because your filtration may struggle if they all grow into monsters :) You may consider boosting mechanical filtration at a later stage.

Just my tuppence.

Slugger :)

Isn't that 800gph between those two canisters? I keep forgetting the rules on that one - but I thought it was ok - what would be the ideal amount of filtration on, say, an 80 gallon tank?

Archived