Popeye...

Hey All~

Little Mackenzie the lionhead officially has popeye...I've had her on two weeks of Medi Gold and it looks worse the last couple of days. She's been quarentined also. I don't know what to do. I that's the first sign of dropsy, and there's no cure for that but what do you guys think I should do? Is there any other remedy I should try? Is she in pain? I know goldfish don't feel pain per say but they can be struggling and uncomfortable, correct? She hides all the time and she's frightened of her own shadow, she's not herself at all. Help? :cry1

Have you been able to test your water parameters? It would help us if we know what levels your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph are at? What size tank do you have and how many fish? What filtration do you have and how often (and how much water) do you change? Take a look at the Disease/Diagnosis section...there is a white box there with questions...if you can answer as many of those as possible, it would help us help you! :)

As soon as you can, go and get maracyn 1 and start her on it immediately. Keep her water clean, well aerated and the temperature stable at 80-82 degrees.

If you cannot find any maracyn 1 anywhere, try getting yourself some furan two or furanase.

How is she holding up?

Post back soon.

Paul

Thanks Paul....She's acting really well, spazzy. It's strange how scared she is all the time. Her eyes are looking worse but there are still no scales sticking out...I'll try the Maracyn. Thank you. I was under the impression that all I could do now was to try and make her comfortable...but if there's a chance I'll take it. I really appreciate it Paul.

Thanks, Jenn

Guest Phreno

Maracyn 1 and 2 are your best bet. There's a product called Jungle fungus cure that can help too. Also, if the fish pinecones you can add epsom salts at 1/8tsp per 5 gals to help the bloating. Just keep it up. All my fish have made it through dropsy. :)

So, you say she acts scared all the time?

Does she rub herself on any objects, gravel or the glass?

Does she ever vaery rapidly shake any of her fins, like something is bothering it?

Post back soon. :unsure:

She never really does any of those things...she just hides all the time in the same spot, and when she thinks I'm not looking she'll come out and forage a little for food. But the moment she sees me or there's any movement she swims back to her little hiding place. She's so jumpy...maybe she's just a scaredy fish...but she's never been this bad though.

And I have been salting the tank. I was hoping that would help fight infection. Got the Maracyn today. I hope something will help. I don't want her to suffer. Thanks for your help Paul and Phreno. :heart

Guest Code4Fish

Hi maybe I can help alittle

I got a new fish about 4 month ago and it already had pop-eye and had had it for about 3 month prior now in his case the damage to the eye was perminate but as far as treating it if the Maracyn and Maracyn 2 dont work the I would also recommend Melafix it is a stronger medication for the really bad cases so if she is in really bad shape that is a good one to use. Also check your water stats that can be the #1 cause of popeye and dropsy so get the # for us if you can.

Good luck I hope she makes it okay

:heart

Code4fish,

Melafix is NOT a good medication to use for anything other than to help the healing process along. This is AFTER the correct diagnosis and antibiotic has been implemented.

Melafix is nothing motre than a tonic to help keep the water free of bacteria. Nothing more. It is not a cure for anything.

DO NOT try to use melafix to treat pop-eye. It should only be used to help the healing process of minor tailrots and the like. Pop-eye is a serious infliction that needs to be treated with antibiotics, not a water tonic.

Also, melafix is NOT "a stronger medication for the really bad cases". It should never be considered as the first choice for treatment of anything. Remember, it helps the healing process, but thats it. It cannot "cure" anything that good clean water cannot.

Please, before giving out advice to other members, be VERY sure that you know well and sure what it is that your advising.

Please, don't take this the wrong way. I just think that the record needs to be set straight.

Thanks for your understanding.....

Paul

Hmmm, sorry to hear that. :(

I would switch to either Maracyn 2, or go with furanase, Furan two, or some other furan med.

Its one or the other though, you shouldn't mix Maracyn 2 with furan meds.

Sorry for the delay in posting back, I've been super busy. I hope she is still holding in there.... :unsure:

Paul

Just to be on the safe side (and if possible) get some fresh carbon and both the Maracyn 2 and the Furan 2. Both are easily found at most shops and are pretty cheap, considering.

If whichever med you try first does nothing within 3 days, switch to the other after a large waterchange and running fresh carbon in the filter for a half a day. ;)

Good luck

Paul

Archived