Now, That Is A Puzzle To Solve!

Ranchugirl

Okay, my tropicals tank is running for years now, and its heavily planted. There hasn't been a snail in there in ages, no new plants for at least the last 6-8 months, and even after that no snail hitched a ride on those new plants.

Now, all of a sudden, snails are popping up in that tank, and munching down mostly my anacharis!! Where are those guys coming from? Of course, just ordinary pest snails, and I pick them out as I see them. But still, they seem to have come out of the blue...

Isn't that the strangest? :unsure:

Maybe the snail fairy came. Did you leave any pockets of slime under your pillow? :lol:

... I can't think of anywhere else they could have come from. The inter-tank transfer theory sounds better than anything I've got.

Well, it couldn't have been the nets - I haven't used any in the tropicals tank in ages. The last time was about 8 months ago, when I tried unsuccessfully to get the algae eater out of there.

Syphon? Hm, the only other place where I have pest snails in the tank is the planted goldie tank in the bedroom. The syphon is 25 ft long, and I usually rins it out with either bleach or PP after I am done with water changes. That really could be the only explanation, if the bleach/PP didn't kill the snails. Which is hard to believe, since there is always water residue sitting around inside the python.... :unsure:

Have you recently added any new fish to the tank? I have seen snails hitch a ride in bags with fish (and have done it myself by accident before). Once I found a snail in my 100 gallon which was very weird because I hadnt added anything new to it, and I sterilized all my plants very carefully before going in. I had other snaily tanks but this snail was something I hadnt had anywhere else. To this day I dont know where it came from!

Nope, no new fish, nothing new - I haven't had time lately to get around looking for fish. The last purchase was a female betta last winter, that was all.

I think it might have been the python... :unsure:

Archived