Prime

lcwinne

Okay, so I feel really stupid asking this question because I think I should already know the answer..... but I just want to make sure before I do it.

Can Prime be used as the only water conditioner for chlorine , chloramine when doing water changes? I normally use some other stuff and only use the prime if my chemistry is out of wack. But my bottle has just been sitting there and it seems like a waste. If I have any tank problems I would rather get a new bottle and make sure that it's not "stale".

Not a stupid question at all. This is a mystery to a lot of people until they find out whats going on with water treatments.

In short, Prime is the ONLY water conditioner that you will ever need, unless you have a low KH. That is easily fixed though. Anyway, back on track:

Prime removes chlorine. It also breaks down the bond between chlorine and ammonia (chloramines). It tosses the chlorine and renders the ammonia inert to your fish. But, the ammonia is still there. So, you will still get a reading for it. That is, if your tapwater even contains chloramines to begin with.

Regardless, it can and will render ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes non-toxic (harmless) to your fish. But, as stated earlier, you still get a positive result for each. Just follow the directions on the bottle as per the results on your test kits. You can always count on it in a pinch, say, if your bio-filter were to crash and your nitrItes went through the roof, Prime will be there. ;)

Prime, in my opinion, is an indispensable tool in fishkeeping. It is indeed the only water treatment you will ever need.

Dont hesitate to ask about anything that may be a little vague still....

PAul

Thanks Paul & fisharenewtome

We just came back from a week long vacation. Fish faired pretty well but I'm now trying to get my tank back on track after having an auto feeder on the tank. It's not too bad, I've had to deal with worse. I find that some of the other water conditioners are a bit more laborous (like one drop per gallon) for the 140g. :D At least the Prime is one capfull per 50g's :rolleyes:

I tried about 6 months ago to test for KH...I have a hard time reading the drop test kits but I think that I do have a low KH from the tap. Is there anything I can do beside the baking soda? And the crushed stuff?

I have another question though. I use a python for water changes so it makes it kind of difficult to only treat the replaced water. Can I treat the for the amount of the whole tank then? That is what I have been doing, but I'm not sure if that is correct. I know that Prime bottle says that a double dose can be used if necessary, so I think I am safe with treating the whole tank. :idont

I too use a python on both of my large tanks. I just pour the correct amount of Prime for treating the entire tank into the incoming stream. (I think the bottle actually states this as well that you are supposed to treat for entire tank volume if adding directly to the tank!)

I hope you had a great vacation!

:D

Thanks fisharenew...

I before I bought my 140g I did the bucket carrying thing. Which I still do for my other two tanks. I've never really been sure of the python but for the big tank....well lets just say that I would certainly get a workout!! :tomuch:

I think you are right with the Prime about treating the whole tank but I've only really used it for water problems so I wasn't sure on just a regular water change.

Yeah - I got my python almost right in the beginning. I accidentially spilled about 15 gal onto my floor (& then thru to the corresponding ceiling!) Now I can look back on it & laugh!!! (Even my cats were like :blink: what are ya' doin'????

Anyway - I started with the python then & was already using Prime (My tap water comes with ammonia). I've been doing it this way for over a year & my fishies are doing well with it so.....

:D

Yep, if you have a 50 gallon tank and your using a python, you add enough prime to the tank to treat 50 gallons of water. Regardless of the amount of water you change. :)

Paul

Archived