Tank Problems...sick Fish

Guest arthurc

Guest arthurc

I purchased a Goldfish (not sure what type, it was the fancy variety though) about 1 week ago, I put it in a 12 gallon Eclipse tank with 2 snails, it seemed healthy for a few days but now I have had a few strange things happen over the weekend.

His fins are rotting away, he seems to not want to swim with anything other than his front fins. Also he is semi covered with some sort of white stuff, The snails seem to also be covered with some sort of clear/whiteish stuff as well. Also I purchased a live plant for the tank and over the weekend a cluster of clear eggs or something attached itself to one of the leaves. (I have noticed that one snail spends alot of time attached to the other, are they mating?) I am pretty sure that my water is good, PH is about 7.2-7.4 temp is 75 and there is no ammonia in the tank.

Questions are as follows

1) what type of sickness do you think my fish has.

2) what the heck are the egg type things on the live plant.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

AC

Guest Chishower

What kind of snails are they? If they are ramshorns, you are going to have an infestation on your hands pretty soon.

Ok, this white stuff on the fish. Is it cottany, or does it look like little white dots? I would move the snails to another container and salt the main tank just a little, maybe to .15%

Guest arthurc

Yeah they are Rams horn snails..... So that egg cluster is theirs?? Should I pull it out of the tank or how would I prevent them from mating?? Or do I need to get rid of one. Are they mating when they are stuck together?

Here is a detailed list of things I see with my fish

1) Eyes have a cloudy white stuff on part of them, I think that cloudy white stuff is on the rest of the fish too

2) Fins are badly rotting (Im a little bit worried as this fish was fine on friday

3) He/She doesnt seem to be intrested in food and wont really use his tail to swim, just kinda hangs out about midlevel in the tank next to the live plant, it does look like he ate a bunch of the live plans dead leaves though.

4) He could have showed up this way but he has paches of redish coloring, I dont remember him having that a few days ago.

Thanks for the help!

AC

Sounds to me like you have a case of fungus. The red patches on your fish remind me of septicemia, I am not 100% sure though. Is there anything around the rotting fins? Like more white stuff...does it look like something is eating it away? You need to check your water, what are your levels?

Guest arthurc

Im testing the water now, The is no sign of anything on the fins, just looks like they are deteriorating, also I noticed that one of the snails might have been trying to eat them????? All in all the fish is VERY inactive, has some whiteish stuff by the gills and eyes, but not dots of white.

Ill post again when I get the test results done.

AC

Guest arthurc

Son of a B*TCH, my goldfish just died, im super pissed, i think the petstore sold me a bad fish, I just double checked my water with the following results

Temp = 75.3F

NH3/NH4 = 0-.25ppm

pH = 8.0 (I know I need to lower this for my plant to grow, whats the best way)

NO2 = 0-.005

If my snails are mating and happy and my water results are as so should I just go ahead and get another fish from a different store? Also my snails seem to now have that fussy stuff (like little tiny whiteish bubbles) on thier shells, could they have been infected by the fish?? Should I treat the whole tank with something?

Also is there a fish out there that will eat snails eggs? I dont want 1000 snails.

(I think I am going to go tropical as I didnt know my tank would be kept that warm in my office)

AC

Hi! So sorry about your loss. I know what you are going through, my moor went through the same thing.

The bad thing about sipticemia, is that it comes so quick. My other fish never caught it, though. I wouldn't get another fish untill you are SURE your tank is safe. I don't know about snails getting it Thats wired..... I dont know how to treat your snails. The best way to rid of eggs is to scoop it out by hand ;) . Treat your tank with fungus, I am pretty sure that was the sorce of your problem, septicemia forms when your fish imune system is already weak. Septicmia is a blood poisioning otherwise the bacteria got inside. Good luck!

I am sorry to hear about your goldfish! :heart Don't give up! A lot of store fish come with diseases... they come from huge community tanks and it's really almost a given... It has only been what? a wekk? I would go back to the store and explain that as soon as you got the fish home it started to look ill and died. I'm sure you can get them to replace the fish - otherwise, raise cain!

Next time, if you are having a problem like that with your fish - post it RIGHT away in the DISEASE section of this site, or even 911 - then you will get some fast ER responses about how to treat your fish.

I can't answer all your questions but as far as your pH, have you checked the pH from your tap water? See if it is 8.0 before conditioning it. Then, you might need to use chemical treatment, a pH adjustor to get it down before water changes. If it is more neutral coming out of the tap, then it is something in the water quality that is driving up the pH. Then, water changes should bring it down after figuring out what is driving it up - and resolving that cause.

It sounds like you did a lot of research before getting your fish - so this is really unfair! But, I just wanted to souble check - did you use a water conditioner? I hope so! If so, it may not be enough - like if you have bad tap water - you may need a more potent water conditioner. Check your tap water with your water test kit!

Also, did you disinfect the plant before putting it in the tank?

I don't know how best to advise you before putting a new fish into that same tank but I would not do it right away! And I would move out the snails while you treat the tank with any meds or salt as they will likely not survive it.

Hopefully, someone can give you the best advice on how to treat that tank to prepare for a new fish - but I think you would have to break it down, disinfect, and start over - It sounds like your fish had fin rot - maybe something else, too - dunno. There are some simple ways to help treat this - have the meds and salt on hand before bringing home the new guy.

There is a tropical fish section on this site, too, if you plan on going that route.

Good luck!

Guest arthurc

Yep I used a water conditioner, also the water I am using is super good quality (I think) as it is from a fancy drinking filter thing we have at work (The tanks in my office). I put some PH balancer in the tank and tested the drinking water for PH, its right about 8 so I think its just the water. Do you think I really need to break down the tank?? I dont mind buying new gravel and stuff as I kind of want to change the color anyways.... Also how do you disinfect a plant (I only had the plant for 2 days so I doubt thats what killed the fish)

Thanks for all the help.

Also on an unrealted note has anyone ever had one of those lobster things for fresh water?? are they cool? I have an eclipse 3 that I thought would be pretty cool to have a lobster in but is that tank too small?

AC

HI - If you want to change decor, now would be a great time to do it!

If you are using fancy filtered water you may not need water conditioner at all!

(I used to use spring water so I needed to try to replace some of the good stuff that was missing from it - like electrolytes, minerals, and such).

That is a rather high pH but it not a "killer" pH - what would be worse would be a sudden change in the pH - check out the Water Chemistry page in the Disease and Diagnosis forum - there are a couple of good threads about pH changes there.

Here are some good articles from Dataguru's home page - at the bottom under water chemistry:

http://dataguru.org/misc/aquarium/FishInfo.html

To disinfect plants, use Permoxyn (Potassium Permanganate, an oxidizer) or regular chlorine bleach (Clorox liquid). I prefer Permoxyn becasue it is gentler on the plants and had other uses for water conditioning and goldfish treatment, including being a useful thing to disinfect a diseased tank/filter.

Plants come from the store with their own attached diseases and parasites so it is wisest to disinfect them before putting them in with your fish.

Whatever killed your fish might be alive and well and enjoying the tank still! So, I would take some steps to disinfect the tank. It not too big of a job with 12 gallons!

Remember, even if the fish is still small - they grow fast! - that 12 gallons can only keep one goldie! Look on the Compatible fish forum for some ideas of what lives well with a goldfish!

That said, a little salt (sea salt, not table salt becasue of the (anit-)caking agents used in it) can be used to treat Ich or Melafix (nice and gentle) or the treatment that can be picked up at any local fish store (lfs) or pet store (lps), like Coppersafe. I use Cupramine and Melafix wih salt.

I think you are talking about shrimp - I have four of them in with my tropicals - you would have to make sure that they are large enough not to get eaten by a goldie! And, I do think they would be anything but dinner for a Betta - but other types of tropicals would be perfect to combine with shrimp! Is this what you mean?

http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php

Guest arthurc

Thanks for the info, that site has exactly what I was looking for. I think I am going to disinfect the plant and whole aquarium and start over, so to do the plant do I just get a bucket and put the Permoxyn in it and dunk the plant? how long do I let the plant chill in the disinfectant.

Also I am going to buy all new gravel and such but want to keep my rock castle thing, how should I disifect that and the tank itself? I assume put in a new filter but what do I do with the bio wheel???

Thanks

Archived