Guest VanillaOranda

Ammonia Level: 1ppm

Nitrite Level: ??

Nitrate Level: 0ppm

Ph: ??

Ph of tap: ??

Tank size: 20 gals and 1 week +

Filtration: out of tank power filter

Water Changes: since I found out that a tank has to cylce, I'm changing the water 10-20% everyday cause my ammonia level is always at 1ppm! Thursday my fishies had ick, so I had to clear out all the water. My local pet store says to stop changing the water so much cause it's stressing my fish too much!

Water Additives: AquaPlus and salt and meds for the ick (5th day now) Maracide

Fish: 2 small fantails and a NEW chocolate Oranda (yesturday) also an apple snail

Fish Food: sinking pellets and peas

I have two fantails who are not doing well at ALL :( They were quite fine and quirky, but then they got ick!!! So I went to the pet store and got ick meds and changed the water 100% boiled my rocks, washed (water) the tank and everything. So after that they were still ok for a while, but they started sinking to the bottom of the tank!! Like they had no will to get up, they can and do, but they just sit on the rock all day. My male was getting worse and worse :ill , but the female (supposed sex on size and behavior) wasn't changing. I read on here that salt can help with certain problems, so I salted to a 'lil less than the recommended amout (I didn't want to stress them more) but it didn't change anything, they didn't reacts. Then I found out about cycling and so I get test stuff, but not all of it cause i'm almost broke :huh: And I think it's really a combination of things, but today, I think my male is worse than ever: he's still at the bottom and he looks thin and his fins are frayed (fin rot?) and I think he's got fungus and he looks like a million different colours... like he looks like he's SHEDDING... and that doesn't make sens... it might be fungus, I don't know... But the worst part is how darn sad he looks, I'm so attatched to him, I just really don't know hwo to help him out anymore... And I'm worried about my female, she's still sitting at the bottom of my tank (the male is in a hospital tank with lots of salt) sometimes, but moves more than before, so she could just be fighting better what the male got, but I'd like to help her too... I'm scared to try anything cause I dont want to hurt them anymore!!!

Please Help Me, I couldn't stand losing my babies! :crp

Guest Chishower

Hmmm....I would say the shock of the medications, a full water change, and now ammonia isnt helping. Next time you have ich, just use salt. :)

When you say they are shedding, could it be their slime coat is coming off? I suspect another parisite being brought in by the new fish, because you didn't QT him.

You COULD try a salt dip to see if that perks them up, and it would also help with any parasites they may have. Maybe a .6% dip for five minutes at the longest to start them off?

Hopefully the experts will get here soon. I hope your little fishies feel better soon. :heart

Edit: If you salt the tank, take the snail out. He might not do too well in there with salt. When you do the dip, do it in another container and remember to dissolve the salt before you add it. :)

Guest Chishower

Awwwww I'm sorry. :heart

I would suggest, however, that you do not get another fish. The two remaining ones are perfect for a 20 gallon.

Archived