Black Moor Eyes..

Anic

After my goldfish (comets and commons) get moved to their pond, which we're getting built sometime in the next week, I'm thinking of getting a Black Moor for my tank. I don't have anything sharp in the tank, just some rocks that look like they have pointed edges (if you run your finger over it, it's actually round)

I was wondering if they could poke their eyes and hurt themselves on the corners.

Anyone know? Thanks!!

:happydance

As with any part of a fish that "sticks out", the potential for injury is there. But, moors are typically a lot more hearty than we give them credit for being, and I generally do not worry about them too much with tank decorations. That is not to say that the general tank considerations should not be given to a Moor.

The eyes are not (or should not be) fluid filled - they are muscular, normal tissue that surrounds the eyes. Injuries that would be most common would be losing the clear part of the eye by bashing it - making the fish blind.

I do not put any decoration that could be sharp or rough (lava rock type of roughness), nor any pointy sharp plastic plants. Make sure you leave a large enough opening between all solid decorations that if the fish decided to try to ram himself between things, he will not get caught. OTher than that, you should be ok.

If there are to be no other fish inthe tank that would innitiate breeding behavior against those rocks, and the fish has room to manuveur, all should be fine. A moor is a strong, wonderful fish companion for your tank! :)

The only other fish that will be in there is a Pleco. Unless I decide to put him in the pond, but I'm not sure yet. Thank you for your help!

:happydance

my moore is so blind, he uses his eyes for "feelers" around the tank.... So I have no decore in there, only plant... (actually working on making it a jungle in there :D ) because any little scratch or something on the eye can lead to cloudy eye or worse...

I love black moors, they were my first fish and they just seem so original to me. Everyone else thinks they are ugly, but I think they are the most elegant!

My moor had some eye problems that I never figured out. About once a week I'd find his eye with blood pooled in the bottom. I took absolutely everything out of the tank that posed a hazard but as soon as his eye would heal, it would get hurt again. I think it was some sort of illness. I did extensive researching on the internet about it, but all I could find was a girl that had the same problem..no one could help her either.

I'm thinking I'll try a moor again soon tho :)

I LOVE MOORS TOO!!! I have 5 telescope fish, one being moor. I have had any problems with my moors and their eyes. I have a fer decors of rock ledges and non have hurt themselves

Archived