Start Again And Again

awrieger

Hi d_golem, thanks. I like Bumpy too so I don't want to lose him as well.

I'm in Sydney. The water is very good here as well, except it seems just in my local area where it went bad a few months ago. Before that my tap was perfect and reading zero on everything, but now it's just gots lots of ammonia/chloramines. I suspect it's my local water tower been treated.

Thanks too, Ginger and Kim. :)

Kim, algae was a problem for me too until I started the full 'planted tank routine' - CO2, daily balanced fertilisers, Flourish Excel, strong light. Apparently if you have loads of plants and get them growing really well, the plants themselves suppress the algae!

Also putting the lights on a timer so they come on for only 10-11 hours a day really helps too. That's all the plants really need or use, so any extra light just goes to the algae.

And it works. This for example is the tank I took Bumpy and Big Red out of and left as just a planted tank (no fish at all). It's grown a bit since the pic on the previous page. And even more than in this pic as this was a few weeks ago because you can't see through the tank at all now. But I haven't needed to scrub the glass or have had any algae on the leaves at all. My ramshorn snails are dying off from starvation (just in the middle left, you can see some gathered scavenging an older previously algae-covered leaf because that's basically all they can find as there's none on any of the newer leaves).

050802.JPG

While I'm at it, same with this tank. This is the one I showed on the previous page as it was just being set up. It's grown a bit too. Because this tank has about 30 fish in it, it's a bit harder to regulate the nitrate and phosphate ratio to keep them in balance. You need a ratio of 1:7, which is 2ppm of phosphate to about 14ppm of nitrates (or more, ie 3:21 or 4:28, just so long as you have the ratio balance okay but never less than 2ppm phosphate). Yes, you ADD phosphate to keep algae down, contrary to popular belief!

forum078.JPG

forum081.JPG

This tank seems to get algae spurts on the glass after each weekly water change from the ammonia spike (throws the balance out, you see) but quickly disappears again as the plants consume it pretty quickly and the balance is restored. That first tank I have less algae problem from that because I do less frequent water changes because it has no fish in it.

I only wish my goldfish could tolerate the very high CO2 levels (over 30ppm) needed to keep planted tanks like this. The tetras and danios don't seem to mind it in the slightest though, maybe because they originally come from lower-pH/higher CO2 natural habitats than goldfish/carp do (I keep these tanks at pH 6.8, whereas the goldies prefer about 7.4).

That tank is gorgeous, I love the colours. At first glance I thought it was a marine tank with coral!

So sorry to hear about Kennedy and Angel. I have a theory about this.

The symptoms of your fish sound like the 'bloody flux' of the dark ages, I can't think of the modern terminology - mental block. Basically it is severe, acute gastritis with 'embola' like symptoms of massive internal haemorraghing. The disease is transmitted via contaminated water, I wonder if that is why your water source is so high in ammonia and chloramines? Has the waterboard detected something and is trying to eliminate it?

If I were you I would only drink boiled water and perhaps boil the water before tank changes? What a hassle. Like you said, it seems the water anomolies are only at your local level and not city wide (thank heavens). Have you got any answers as to why your water levels are so high?

edit: conspiracy theory - are you aware of the current 'bug' that's going around? It's a stomach bug with lots of vomiting, that's all I know, except 3 kids in Garions glass spewed in the classroom in one week. hmmn. Our water's gone off before, remember? For those who don't know what I'm talking about, I'm referring to an incident about 5yrs ago when all of Sydney's water was contaminated with parasites and everyone had to boil their water for 10mins before drinking. It took about 3-4 weeks before our water was declared safe.

If you can't get any answers about your water go to your State MP, I seem to recall you are in the Campbelltown area, if so your member is Geoff Corrigan, ph. 4655 3333, fx. 4655 3325, or camden@parliament.nsw.gov.au

There is definately something strange going on with your water and it is consistent with 'sanitation' methods for contaminants. There may be concerns for the local population.

Ha ha! I can go straight to the top now as my local MP is now the Premier! (Probably just means he's got less time for people like me now though).

But that's actually a very good point, Annette! I remember when that happened! Big news for weeks. Everyone was demanding to know how it was in the water supply if the water was supposed have been treated. So it makes sense there has to be a reason they're dosing so high, some bug they're trying to kill otherwise they wouldn't have increased the levels.

But I've been fine and haven't had any problems at all in the past few months (except for the stress!). But maybe it's there in the water and the chloramine is stressing the fish so it lowers their natural resistance eventually and they succumb. So if I can get the water okay, the fish will be able to resist it so it hopefully won't happen again. I wonder if the fact all three fish who did succumb were all female makes a difference.

I've only checked Sydney Water's website rather than calling them, where they have a general annual chart which is as vague as 'tested below standard levels 98.7% of the time" or somesuch - whatever that means. Maybe I'm the 1.3%! Not to worry though as now that I'm setting up this filter, yhey can add as much as they want, because now I can remove it. And I don't want to keep testing in case they catch me by surprise again! :)

Do you think Garion's class might have just had some food poisoning from the tuck shop maybe? If it was the water, then most of the class should have gotten it too (unlss they all have bottled water).

And thanks about the tank! I think though that the Red Lotus is quickly going to outgrow it! See how spindly and small it was in the last pics? It has really nice big tissue-thin leaves, so I'm thinking about when I trim some off, I'll press them in a book for posterity. :)

Derr, it's late. I didn't connect that Geoff Corrigan was THE Geoff Corrigan, Premier of NSW.

I emailed Sydney Water once with a query, forget what it was now, and they emailed this humungous report that was extremely technical. I gave up trying to understand it and was none the wiser. You are much more technically minded than me, perhaps you could make sense of all that humbug.

Just a tip on your new filter. Test the pH after you have it installed. If it is a carbon based filter there might be a pH spike when it is new. Happened to me once, luckily I was forewarned.

The stomach bug isn't limited to Garion's class or even his school. It's everywhere (around here anyway), not to mention a nasty sinus virus/flu which I can personally vouch for. <_<

That red lotus is amazing and you have a green thumb not to mention artistic flare. There could be business opportunities in this hobby for you.

LOL. The new Premier is Morris Iemma. Don't worry, if it wasn't for him being my local MP I wouldn't have known either. But I don't actually know who Geoff Corrigan is!

That's a great idea, thanks Annette. I'll email them tomorrow! I put off actually calling them because I hate being put on hold and being transferred around by govt departments and wasting half a day getting nowhere.

And thanks for the tip about the pH. I think it is carbon based, so I'll be sure to test the pH now too.

I wouldn't mind being able to make some money from this hobby, considering how much I spend!

I am so sorry to hear about Kennedy and Angel! :heart

Fishmerised stated very well a similar idea that was budding in my brain... We have notoriously bad water where I live - when they jack the chloramines, it is becasue they have E.Coli (again) in the water! Or some other nasty - the water administration is under the Dept. of Health - which is being sued by the EPA - so at the moment, we have a very up-to-date website! I even notived that the last E.Coli outbreak that the website specifically warned people with fish ponds and about giving the water to pets! That's really great - but it seems one must check almost every single day! Hopefully, your local government has (or will develop) a website?!

For example - http://www.dcwasa.com/lead/orthoPhosphate.cfm

Instead of changing the lead pipes, they are going to add more chemicals!

I put the link to my water site in case you might find some information about dwater additives, contaminants, etc. that might help your research - although values will probably different in Oz - at least they might be in different units.

If I come accross anything in my searches that might help unravel this sad mystery, I will write you right away.

Your planted tanks are looking lovely. I really hope that all will remain well for you. :heart (BTW - in the mean time, can you use a water conditioner like Prime? It might help Bumpy if the water is too much for him before filtration...?)

hee, hee, I realised about Morris Iemma this morning, as I said it was late last night. ;) I'm not sure but didn't Morris come from the seat of Fairfield? Geoff Corrigan is the member for Camden, I don't know where you live so I'm just guessing.

Yippee!! I'm so happy! I'm so happy! *dancing around*

I just tested my filtered water and it's good!

Ammonia:

Straight out of the tap - 0.4ppm

After filtering - 0.25ppm

After filtering, then adding dechlor - ZERO!!

So there's no ammonia breaking away from any chloramine any more!

:)

So it works! It's not just reducing the original ammonia, it's also removing the chloramine so the dechlor can easily neutralise what ammonoa there is now. No more double and triple dosing and still getting a green reading. It's yellow! :)

Bumpy, get ready for a 50% water change! Let's get your nitrates down now! :)

Oh! PS: Morris represents the Hurstville~Riverwood area, Annette. I'm right on the edge, the border runs down the middle of my road, so the other side of the road is a different electorate! Which is a bit silly, I think.

Thanks Graham! :)

Now that I've got this filter working, they can do what they like to the water, lol!

I've dug out one of my father's big old plastic wine barrels from the basement and cleaned it out (he used to make home made wine before he died - I think it killed him, foul stuff it was, he was never any good at it!). Broke a nail in the process, but well worth it! Because this thing is big! Doesn't say on the outside, but I'm guessing it's easily 200 to 300 litres. Finally put it to some good use!

So I can have enough filtered water just sitting there all ready to go now for all my tanks' weekly water changes! I've put a spare heater it so the water will be the right temperature and everything.

Things are starting to look positive now! :)

that's good news to hear, awrieger!

i really do hope that bumpy and the others will benefit from the new water :lol: maybe u could post us some pics of ur fishies' condition when u've done the water change ;)

good luck mate

Oh, I'm just going to cry now. This is too much for me. My big Baby Surprise is dying now. I just can't take this any more. :cry1

I thought she was going to make it through this unscathed. For a few weeks she's had a small white spot on her wen, which developed into a hole two weeks ago. It just got slowly bigger, so I treated her tank with salt, but it still just got worse. She's now rolled over because I suspect whatever it is has finally affected/eaten into her inner ear and her balance.

And I've only just done the first water change with the new filtered water yesterday on her tank. But obviously too late to make a difference now.

I just can't take this any more. The tanks are clean, the filters are clean, the pipes are clean, the tanks are cycled, they have UV sterilisers, I do weekly 40% water changes... it was all perfect for the first six months of this year, my fish were all happy and healthy and no problems whatsoever. But for the last three months, it's just been a nightmare of sickness and death one after the other... and I just DON'T KNOW why. I don't know what that red poop problem was, and I don't know what this hole in Surprise's wen is. It's not hole in the head because she has none of the other symptoms. Heck, I don't even know why Bumpy's gills are still red, while the other two fish in the same tank are fine. Is it the chloramines? It can't be nitrite because there is no nitrite, it can't be parasites because the other two are fine, it can't be this, it can't be that... None of the descriptions or symptoms of any diseases match anything that's been killing my fish. And they each seem to be different.. and not just one tank. All my tanks. And all I can do is just futilely blame my tapwater, because if it's me causing it then I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. And I haven't introduced any new fish or plants in six months... Sorry I'm rambling.

I just don't know. I don't know. I don't know. All I know is that I'm distraught and I'm feeling a terrible tightness in my heart just watching Baby Surprise struggling now after watching her grow from a wee baby. I just can't take this any more.

:( Very sorry to hear all the bad news, especially about Baby Surprise. I think what ur doing now is great about the tapwater filter & stuff, so don't give up and keep pluggin away. I really hope Baby Surprise will make it thru.

Very Best of luck to u & ur fishies. don't lose heart!

oh awrieger, i'm so sorry to hear about your bad luck with your fish, i also have had bad luck with mine as well, i also have my tank cycled now and i have lost 3 fish in the last month, they were my favourite max my black ranchu, my new orange ranchu and my calico ranchu, i dont know why i lost them but they all had different symptoms, and died quickly, and now i still have my gold bubble eye who lloks terrible, very thin and not eating at all, and my lionhead has not been herself for a month now, she has cloady eyes and isnt eating much, but they other fish are fine, i think fish maybe get things like cancer and inner problems that we just cant fix some times. oh i also have a horrible brown algea problem, and i have ten apple snails, working for me now, to control that problem, and i ordered my light last week as well, so hopefully that will help. i also have had some bad luck with my dogs, i had to put my sweet pug down only 3 weeks ago, as she had a seizure and dropped in a coma, and she wouldnt come around, so i was very heartbroken by this, i fuigured you were still battleing with fish problems since you havent been on here much posting.

Oh, Sonni! I'm so sorry!! Not beautiful Max! He was my favourite too. It's always the way isn't it? If you lose a fish, the chances are it will be the one you like best. :(

I was going to ask how you're big new tank is coming along. I've been too caught up in my depressing problems. But your tank is okay now though I hope! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that your beautiful bubble eye and lionhead recover. Your bubble eye is such a nice fish. It tempted me to think about getting one myself (if I ever get my problems fixed). I was thinking that maybe because yours is a brand new house, I remember reading that disturbing old pipes or installing new pipes can cause water quality problems (don't know how though). Maybe that was my problem too. There was construction work out the front of my house a few months ago for a few weeks. I don't know, maybe I'm just clutching at straws...

And it's so heartbreaking to hear about your puppy. Oh no!! :cry1 I feel so terrible for you! Pugs are such lovely dogs. I just know I'll go to absolute pieces when I lose my own bestest friend, so I can only imagine how badly you're feeling right now. He's had diabetes for two years now and is almost 13 years old so it's only a matter of time, and I have to prepare myself for what you've just gone through. But I'm still totally dreading it and know nothing will make me feel better when it happens, so I don't know what I can say to make you feel better except offer you a big warm *hug*.

Thanks Golem. It's really difficult to not lose heart though. Baby Surprise passed away overnight.

So I'm now down to just four fish. Of which Bumpy is still struggling badly. Fuji being the only girl now has a 35 gallon tank all to herself.

Oddly enough, two of my remaining fish (Big Red and Lizzy) are actually two of my original fish. Only Bumpy and Fuji out of the ten or so fish I've bought since over the last twelve months have survived

Normally with having excess tank space, I would be considering getting a new fish or two, but right now I'm just thinking I'd just be condemning any poor fish I buy to a death sentence. :(

i'm so sorry to hear about your fish, i cant even look at old pics of max, he was just the best he would follow me everywhere, i have bought two new fish two weeks ago, a tiny calico bubble eye and a gold and white ryukin, they are doing well, and my snails are doing a good job cleaning the algea, so everything is stable condition down here at the moment.

Oh! Baby Surprise! :cry1 He is just absolutley beautiful. He will always be beautiful becasue he is in your heart. :heart I am so sorry to read of all this sadness. I wish there was an explanation or something to understand; it is just very unfair. I can only give you my hugs and my thoughts - my hopes that Bumpy, Lizzy, Big Red and Fuji stay healthy and happy to give you comfort. :tou

Great to hear, Sonni! Your two new fish sound really nice! :)

Thanks Graham, Littleone and Andrea. :) I've just gotten a nice new bigger tank, so I'm going to start again with a couple of new fish to join Fuji in there.. and hopefully all my posts from now on will be good news!

Dear Amy, I wish we had fairy godmothers sometimes who could just wave a magic wand and fix everything up. It's tragic what is happening to your fish, and more so because you are trying your utmost to do what is right for them.

I'm very, very sorry. :hug

Archived