She Said I Killed Him?

froggydella

I am having a problem here....

I will try to make this short and to the point. I have a freind that thinks she knows everything about everything.....(I am sure you all have a freind like this from time to time) Well anyhow, her finance has fish just not goldfish he has angel fish etc.

When my moor was sick my hubby called him quick to see what advice he had for my fish...he used to own goldies back in the day so we figured he would know something.

Well he agreed with everyone else on here to take it out of the tank and put him in QT, he had the same problem with one of his Angels but since they need to stay in shcools he could not take him out.

Well when I talked to my gf today she asked how the fish was doing and I said dead.....she asked what happened and all that but then when I said I took him out and put him in QT and medicated him, she just couledn't keep her mouth shut and stay outta it, she said I killed the fish by removing him from the tank and I should of left him in there, she mentioned bout the angel that was sick and I didn't want to even say ne thing to her because it would of just sparked a fight.

I guess what I am trying to do here is ask if I did do the right thing by removing the sick fish and treating him???? Bear in mind she is one of those people that in actuality knows everything about nothing!! So it's hard to argue with her and make a point!!

I was just bothered by her comment and I think I did the right thing, So I guess I am looking for people to back me here so I can say hey sorry you are wrong!!! Thanks guys for listening!! :unsure:

Sincerly,

Steamed bout this man!!!! :o :angry:

Thanks Gold Ryu!! :rockon I knew I would have backup on this one!! YES!!!!!

My moor didn't make it but she just made it out to be that I killed him by taking him out, and that really rubbed me the wrong way!!

She's just one of those know it all smart butts ya know....Thanks I knew everyone would have my back.....LOL :grouphug

You are correct Froggy! :D

Unless a whole tank of fish are contaminated with something like parasites, then its off to the QT for treatment. There's no need to treat fish that are fine and subject them to harsh meds along with the one who is sick!

Its a fact that fish can build immunities (same as humans) to medications so by medicating fish who do not need it, you increase the risk of a immunity when you really do need it.

Feel free to print my reply for your friend also. :D If she'd like to argue the point, she can take it up with the experts & Vets and I do hope she has a vetinary certification and scientific data to back up with! :D:rofl

Tamianth... :hi5 Right on!!

I wasn't gonna post back but I went back and saw your post and just had to give ya props on this one!!! I just read it to my husband and he was like boooya!!! rock on!!

She has no Vet. Cert. She works in the food industry!! She knows nothing about fish actually she just likes to play Dr. know it all!! She's the kind of person that you would love to just go like this too........ :wa

Thanks I am thinking bout printing this but I don't want her to see my post!! LOL

Thanks guys!!!!

Sorry you here you lost your goldie... :(

There are quite a few ailments that usually require removal to a cycled, or kept clean daily, quarentine receptacle. Mainly bacterial infections and mechanical injuries/inadequacies are the candidates for removal. If parasites are the possible root of the problem, removal isn't necessary because the whole tank needs treatment, unless secondary symptoms require immediate treatment. Anyway, when removal to a quarentine/hospital tank is done, pH, temperature, oxygenation and stability should be considered and prepared for. Then, a correct diagnosis and treatment must be administered.

If you correctly diagnosed and treated your fish in a clean, oxygenated environment, then you didn't kill your goldfish. Your treatment just wasn't successful.

I went and searched out your thread about your moor and I have a few questions. That is, if you really want to find out what went wrong. :huh:

Do you have test kits?

Have you been testing your main tank and your Q-tank?

What are/were the results from the tests for both tanks?

What was the medication that you used on your moor?

How many gallons was the quarentine tank? Was there a cycled filter on it?

How many gallons is your main tank?

How many fish?

What is the name and size of your filter/s?

Please answer EVERY question above if you want to find out what happened. Otherwise, the same mistake might be made again. The key is to do everything you can to avoid a re-occurance.

Post back soon.

Paul

Toothy if your on AIM tonight can you please just im me I can answer you that way....

That whole incident happened all to quickly for me and I may of messed something up in the process, but I think for the most part I dealt with it "ok" for someone who has never had a illness......Thanks for your concern and thanks for looking after me so this doesn't happen again!!!

I think that removal is WAY better then leaving them in. (IMO!!) at work we dont have quarentine tanks, and one little problem leads to whole taks being lost... (we just had a dropsy outbreak in one of the live bearer tanks, we were GUNNA euthanize a sick sword, had the vet called and everyting to do it, and one of the head hanchos said since we had to much luck with the goldies and dropsy, we can save money on the vet, and do the same.... Grrr.... Lost a whole shipment... almost 60 fish...)

*huggles* just remember, everyones entitled to their own opinion, no matter how WRONG it may be

Oh, Froggy! I'm sorry that losing your fish wasn't enough for your friend! It's just plain mean of her to blame you and say it to your face (even if she wants to think it is true). Some people are just :lol1 missing the TACT or TASTE gene! I would say something snappy like - yeah, if I'd known it would have killed him, I would have moved him sooner! That will :ignore her up fast!

I'm sure she has some other redeeming quality...

QT is the right thing to do when you have other fish! I put GN is a hospital tank once when he was sick - and lives alone! - so I could treat the water. QT is STAT!

You may have had lost more than one fish if you had not done it. I am not a fish expert but I can say is really just good common sense!

If someone had smallpox and you put them in QT and they didn't make it - would you blame the doc for putting him in QT and say that's what killed him?! NO! The disease killed him! QT just kept everyone else from getting sick, too!

QT is an important safety precaution to put others at less risk AND to help treat by reducing stress and increasing the efficacy of meds. (in the case of a fish).

So there! :lol2

PS - tell her, next time you get the flu that you are coming straight over to her house to have tea - because QT might kill you! :exactly

Grahmm...Nicely put!!

That was great!! I love it....HUMMMM another redeming quality she has.......Had to think long and hard there isn't one!! She drives everyone crazy!!!! :krazy: Man if your sick she knows whats wrong, if your house has a couple of paint chips from your 2 year old ramming toys into the walls she will point it out, If she thinks your doing something wrong in raising your child she will tell ya how to do it. (come on she had a baby sister) but has no kids of her own...that is a big pet peeve of mine!!! Can't stand that!! She has even gone as far as to telling me that I better lose weight before I got married!! OUCH that one dug me deep, there was nothing to loose though, she needed to make herself feel better cause she didn't fit into her dress.

I hope she gets whats coming to her someday, latley I have been dishing out what she serves and she doesn't like the taste of her own medicine...Oh well can't take the heat get you a** out the

kithen!! :ignore:madrant

HA take that lady.....lol

Thanks Grahmm that helped and gave me a laugh for the day!!! :hi5

Archived