Online Reading:

ooops! almost forgot.... I also '''heard''' that is you keep a gf in a very dark room it will also turn white (but who in their right mind would want to do such a thing?)

from http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/facts.html

they say that a goldfish's brain on average weighs o.o97 grams. a humans is 1,300 to 1,400....

also from the same sight:

Hearing Range (goldfish) = 5 to 2,000 Hz

Hearing Range (young adult human) = 20 to 20,000 Hz

Hearing Range (elderly human) = 50 to 8,000 Hz (Guyton, A.C., Textbook of Medical Physiology, 1986)

Goldfish don't become pregnant; they lay eggs. (I'm sure you knew that; just pointing it out.) :D

I researched it and what it comes down to is that a magazine a couple of years ago published this as "fact," but it is actually an Australian urban-legend-type thing. There is no mention of this definition in the commonly-accepted authority on english words, the Oxford English Dictionary.

I have also read in several publications that in Moza, Italy, goldfish bowls are illegal. The first time I read about it, the author was ranting and raving. She thought that is was pathetic. "they are just fish," she said. Grrrrr. I think this is great, of course! one good article to read about it is :http://www.aact.org.au/newsletters/November04.pdf#search='goldfish%20crimes'

Oh, yeah, I knew that they don't get "pregnant." I just wanted to type it the way I read it. So, I wonder who started that little myth... Or perhaps it's not a myth in australia? maybe """""some"""""" people there call them twits? Couldn't it also be possible that the word twit there does not exactly mean the same thing here? hmmm. I have an example to explain that--but it is not a "proper example" to use here at kokos!

I found a couple definitions of a twit...

1 : to subject to light ridicule or reproach

2 : to make fun of as a fault

3 : a silly annoying person

I always thought, whenever I read that a pregnant goldfish was called a twit, that its was like the goldfish keepers inside joke to all the people that dont have fish. But then again you could be right that it means something completely different in other parts of the world, but I like my idea better :)

on the white thing, i dont know if it was coincidence or now, but I believe it! We had a 20 gallon in tank wall in one of our old houses (we have moved ALOT!) and it didnt have a light, and it didnt really get any light... and both Fred and Sparky tunred white! Fred was a red and white common, and Sparky was a calico fantail. When we moved again, and set up the 55, with light, they got their color back... it took a while, but it did happen

wow thats neat! so they do turn white. who woulda thought? then again, I remember going to the county fair and I saw a group of people huddled around in the fowl barn... I finally budged through and this guy was telling the people how he kept his white chicken under purple lights and fed it food that was dyed purple with food coloring... the result? a purple chiken!

(oh! and when my friend was 6 or seven their white cat made her mad so she put it in the tiolet. there was one of those blue things in there and it stained the cat's ahir blue. I guess her mom was MaD)

Now back to fish:

How did I find that weird site? I just search ans search and search and type bunches of differnt things into the search engine.

:)

Guest FishGal39

i had also heard that they were called Twits. . .thanks for clearing that up, because I had started to tell people about it. . . lol one of my great aunts calls all the grandchildren TWITS so i thought it was quite funny if it was actually a pregnant fish or what not! lol

Archived