Dropsy Drama

I SWEAR I had a premonition about this. two or three days ago I was in my kitchen and thought to myself that I needed to go and check Elm for dropsy. Just out of the blue. Well the little fish was fine. It's a little pearlscale. The scales with the pearls looked fine along with the scales that didn't have pearls. I did however note that the fish seemed to be growing. The fat little pearlscale seemed a bit bigger around the belly. (maybe fluid build up from the kidneys messing up from dropsy starting? Regardless, this thought didn't cross my mind then).

Well, I've been looking closely at this fish since then because I felt troubled for him/her for no reason. Today at water change, I noticed that scales (the ones towards the top of the fish near the dorsal fin and tail) are beginning to stand up!

I tested my water but did not change it as I wanted to drive to my moms ASAP to get your help.

========================

STATS:

29 gallon tank running for one year this october

the pearscale with dropsy one other small pearscale and a large gentle oranda

I added a small yellow applesnail about 2-3 weeks ago.

ammonia: o

nitrites: o

nitrates: 15

temp: 75 (it hit 80 degrees yesterday)

ph: about 7.2 or 7.0

no clue about chloramines level from the tap. I treat with prime

50% water changes EACH WEEK, but last week I did two 50% water changes because I'm getting a white fuzzy algae growing on the tanks glass in the back. I wanted to do the water changes to remove possible phosphates that the algaew might be consuming (I don't have a phosphate test kit) I do not and will not use any algae killing products.

Food: Wardley floating goldfish pellets soaked thoughoughly and hand fed to the fish

Currently no meds are in the tank

This fish is acting normal still. swimming for search of food and he ate his peas today. The other fish are looking great and acting great.

I need your help because I ALWAYS read that dropsy was fatal. I once bought a rescue fish who had it just to take her home and put her to sleep. then, I about killed myself because I heard of a few success stories here at kokos.

I DO NOT have those medicated foods from goldfish connection that either koko or ranchugirl (can't remember which one wrote the post) said can help treat dropsy in its early stages. I was being an idiot who thought "well if I always properly take care of the tank and its water my fish will be fine..." I was wrong.

I don't know if I can order this stuff or not. I just spent all of my money this morning on birthday presents for my son. My check comes friday and I doubt this will be soon enough.

So what do I do? is there anything that can be done? if so what?

I did not change the tanks water yet in the 29 gallon because I wanted your advice first. However I do have a completly cycled ten gallon tank that I can use to treat this fish with dropsy seperately if that is the way to go. There is a ranchu in this 10 gal. tank, but I can remove him and put him in the 29 gallon tank with the healthy oranda and healthy smaller pearscale?????????

I have some meds at home, but right now I can't remember if they said they treated for dropsy. I have two pills of mardels maracyn 2 and I also have jungles fungus eliminator..... I """"think""""" the packages might say that they treat for dropsy, but I can't recall......

Anyway, if the mardels treats for it I """""might""""" be able to borrow some cash to go and buy it tonight.

What are you suggestions???

I just read the following quotes. do you reccomend any of these options?:

Devs:

It's more important to try and save your fish from dropsy.First off,I would start off by water changing-maybe about 30%. You'll need to keep the tank water very warm to help treat this.Do you have a heater? Epsom Salt is also a help when it comes to swollen fish.1/8 tsp. per 5 gals. is all that is needed.That needs to be dissolved in Tank water before being added to your tank. A good Med that's been found to work quite well for Dropsy/Popeye,etc.,is Maracyn and Maracyn II.I would go and purchase that first thing in the morning if possible.Dropsy is a very deadly symptom that needs to be treated as soon as possible.The faster you treat it,the better survival rate you have on saving the fish.

=================

Devs:

Thats funny that my goldfish had dropsy and septicemia and I treated it with fungus clear and it is just fine, after 3 months.

====================

Ranchugirl:

Unfortunately, for most problems you need hard core medication, not something weak as fungus clear. Especially with dropsy there is no way at all that Fungus clear takes care of it. It just doesn't have the neccessary antibiotics for it.

The most successful dropsy treatments involve antibiotic injections and/or antibiotic food such as medigold and metromed. These are not available in Aust or the UK.

I have also lost several fish from dropsy but lately have had two successful recoveries using tri-sulphur (sulfadiazine, sulfadimdine, sulfamerazine). Another member here has also had a recent success using a tri-sulphur treatment and she will to post the details herself.

I understand that sulfa treatments may damage your filter biobugs so I treated in a container without a filter. I monitored the water daily but the readings were always 0 so I only changed the water with the repeat medication. The brand I was using suggested a repeat after 3 days but the brand the other member used was daily doses.

Hope this info helps.

In one ok KOKO's post she asked a member (who had a fish with dropsy) if they had any hollow tank ornaments.... Does anyone know why she asked this? does it grow nasty bacteria that causes dropsy and other baddies?

I ask because in the 29 gallon tank I have a clay pot with rocks holding a fake plant and a bigger glass urn that holds more rocks and another fake plant.... I clean them out weekly though.

ANTIBIOTICS? My dad has fish pills that are penicllin... WOOO-HOOO!

But should I treat them with the epsoms salts and the maracyn and the antibiotic pills dissolved in water? can I do all three?

another question:

In another post, Koko says that the epsom salt:

"do the first dose then the second one two days latter"

does this mean that since I'm putting her in a ten gallon tank only add 1/8 of a teaspoon for five gallons and then wait two days and add the other 1/8 teaspoon?

Anybody know?

okay, this is going against the flow a bit but I'll put in my 2c's worth.

As far as I know, epsom salt has limited effect on dropsy. It is being put forward as a cure because we take epsom salt for similar reasons so if it works for humans so it should work for fish. Well, it doesn't in this case. Epson salt will change the GH in a tank and if you put a grain of ES in the middle of a pea it will purge a fish but just dissolving ES in the water is not going to get it into a fish. Fish hardly drink the water they swim in and their gills are not designed to take in epsom salt. ;)

What I do know that will reduce the fiuld build up in a fish is salt bath of 0.6%-1% concentration. It work on the osmetic principle. Fiuld is drawn out of the fish due to the osmotic gradient. This will not cure dropsy but is should reduce the fiuld builtup (hence the bloating) and take the load off the kidney and make the osmoregulation process a whole lot easier for the fish.

Then you will need some kind of antibactial/antibiotics to fight the bacterial infection itself. Trisulfa may work (depending on the bacteria involved). Good luck!

wow.......... thanks for the info!!! I'm gonna do that tonight because her eyes are popping out from all of the pressure.

Also my kh was running low and my ph wazs starting to fall so I added baking soda (I measured it out) to bring it up.... after this the water looked clearer and then her eyes started popping out at this time. do you think the baking soda ruined the meds in the tank?

Also, her scales are of course still sticking up. the maracyn two says that I can repeat the five day treatment if necessary. Right now I am on day four of the first round of maracyn two. my question is:

does any one think I should use the maracyn 2 for two full five day treamtents (ten days total) and then switching over to maracyn 1????

whatcha think?

Hi Maud,

Can I agree with Captk? Most certainly. :D There are many causes to dropsy, most commonly its bacterial, but..... a lot of the things can be internal. Please check the gills for color if possible. IMHO, short of getting a injection antibiotic, I'd feed medicated food also to help get the antibiotics in quicker. :D

No, the baking soda didn't really harm anything, but you need to stay on top of the WQ as fluctuations are stressful.....

Yes, I'd switch or use them in conjunction with each other.....

I hope things go well Maud, lets hope for the best but expect the worst as dropsy is a odd one....

Well, I always do try and stay on op of water quality. I realized that it had been awhile since I tested my kh and nitrate from the tap. it used to be about 10 ppm for nitrate and about 80 for the kh. Since none of my fish but one was full grown the 80 on the kh was strong enough to hold the ph up through the week.

So, I tested. 10 ppm for the nitrated and 17.9 kh!!!!! ack! so I ran around testing all of my tanks kh level and ph levels and all of them needed baking soda added to pull up the kh and the ph. whew!

Glad I caught that in time!!! before some nasty ph chrash!!!!

----------------------------------------------------

Anyway, elm is just being a sweet heart through this whole ordeal! she doesn't even ACT sick... she swims around all day and searches for food. She has not missed a meal yet! I used to feed her about two or three pelles a day. Since she is sooooo swollen, at first I was only giving her a half of a soaked pellet. Today, I gave her a whole pellet.

Also, today her eyes aren't popping out as much!!! :heart:exactly

she still is very swollen though and her scales are standiong out... but, her scales have never stood out as much as those that Ive seen on dropsied fish in the lps...

good sign for about a week into the dropsy mess, huh?

I'm going to start maracyn one tonight....

thanks a buch!

almost forgot! I stare at this fish ALOT and her gills seem normal colored!

If they do turn an odd color though, what should I do? just come here and ask?

speaking of which, maybe this is a good time to just learn about this so I know what to do in the future for AnY of my fish.

I know people talk about a blood red color. why does this happen? water quality I'm sure, but is it just from ammonia? ir nitrites? or a combination of anything.

what is the treatment for this if it were to ever happen?

Hi Maud,

While a injectable (baytril/amackicin etc.) antibiotic is much preferable, we just don't alway's have access to a vet for them sadly. 0.1% salt, 79* heat. Maracyn 1 or 2, or both. Medicated food.

It sounds like maybe it is bacterial at this point. As long as she is eating its a good sign! Some we win, some we loose. But I alway's hope for the best & expect the worst!

I do hope the best in any case ! :)

Archived