Getting A Pond Set Up.

Anic

In about a week, I'm getting a pond put in by my house for my goldies and I was wondering if I need to cycle the tank after I move them out. After they get moved to their pond, I was thinking about getting a Black Moor for my tank.

Should I cycle the tank, or completely scrub everything down and let it run for a few days before I put anything in it? One of the fish currently in the tank has ick.

I have a pleco. If I have to scrub the tank, where can I put the pleco without having to go swimming to catch him?

I just need to know how to get the tank ready for a new fishie so there won't be anything in the tank that would get my fish sick.

:nana

If you have had a fish with ick in the tank you will probably want to nuke it and the filter to make sure none of the eggs or parasites survive to infect your new fish. I would remove all the water from your tank and give it a good scrubing with hot water, same for your filter and toss your old media. I would then spray it all with a 10:1 bleach solution, 10 parts water to 1 part bleach and then just let it dry. That should kill every thing. as for your pleco you could just put it in a rubbermade container since it shouldn't take more than a day to clean your tank and filter. If you have gravel or decoration soak then in a 10:1 bleach solution for 15 minutes and then rinse and let then dry out. You will have to cycle your tank again I wouldn't try saving any media or anything since it could have it on it. They do sell cycle starting stuff in pet stores that you could use to help your cycle get going faster. I think some people on her have use them before with sucess, but I amnot sure what brands. Hope this helps you out, and congrats on the new pond your are goign to have some very happy fish:)

I probably sound like an idiot, but what do you mean by "media"? I know what it is, but I don't know what you mean with the way you're using it. I sound dumb, don't I?

Thank you for your help! :happydance

:nana

Archived