Goldfish

Guest carmen

Guest carmen

Hello

I am a newbie and I just got a fish tank. The reason I got a tank was that my little girl won a goldfish at a carnival so I went and got a 10 gal tank at a local pet store. I also bought two more fish and was wondering how many goldfish can I put in a 10 gal tank. Also I would like to get a cat fish but dont know if that is a good idea or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Carmen and welcome! The general rule for most goldfish is 10 gallons per fish. Goldfish grow to be very large, plus they are messy fish (poop alot). With having more than one fish in your 10 gal tank, you'll need to do very frequent water changes.

If your daughter won a Comet or a common, then a 10 gal is too small. they'll need something bigger or a pond. As for the catfish, I can't help you. Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea.

:nana

the general rule is 10 gallons per fancy gf and 15 - 20 per common or comet gf, so right now you would need a 30 gal tank minimum. That may see extreme right now since they are probably small , but if kept in the proper conditions gfs can grow to be quite large. I just purchased a lionhead gf a few weeks ago and it has already grown over an inch! If you want to get a catfish then you will probably want a seperate tank for it. I don't know alot about them so you may want to do a go0gle search. If you can't afford a larger tank then you could get a rubbermade container to put them in or else return the two you bought to the petshop or find new homes for them. Just be sure since your tank is probably cycling right now to do regular(probably daily) water changes of like 25%. Right now good bacteria are getting established in your filter and tank and as they grown and multiply your aquarium will have a spike in ammonia and then nitrites which are deadly to fish at even low levels, the good bacteria will use these and end up producing nitrates which harmless except at high levels. If you don't have a freshwater test kit then you will want to get one ASAP, liquid test kits work better then strip tests. Here is a link about cycling your tank http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Hope this helps you out and goodluck with your new fish:)

Guest jimmy_396_jimmy

don't get a catfish, depending on which type you get, catfish can get big

my cousins catfish couldn't even turn around in his 30 gallon

Guest Chishower

By catfish do you mean a pleco catfish? A bristlenosed or a cory cat would be ok. Just dont get an actuall catfish like you would find in a pond.

welcome carmen :)

your tank is fully stocked already so i wouldnt get any more fish

the best thing you can do for them right now is have a good read around here and learn what you can from the site about keeping goldfish

Hi! :welcome I would also advise against those adorable little otocinculus cat fish - I had some for a while - but then the goldies get bigger, they may try to eat it! I have heard scary stories about goldfish choking on or being really harmed by oto bones.

Mohican said it all very well. Good luck and enjoy your :newfish !

Archived