Ammonia Confirmation

Kissy

I got some ammonia to cycle my tank today, here are the ingrediants: soft water, ammonium hydroxide, surfactant, quality control agents.

Are the last two ingrediants dangerous?? Thanks

I went hunting on the net & all of the articles I could find seem to state that it should just be ammonia & water. The last one I found states that the surfactant can be detrimental.

Here's a link to the article (Warning - it seems to be fairly technical but does have good info in it!) Click Here

Blah. I have been looking for ammonia for two months!!!!! I really thought this was the stuff too. This is becoming really desperate!!! I can't find ammonia :(

I don't know anyone else that has fish.

I think I've really got only two choices here: 1: go get some danios from the far away store I've never been to an hope they have healthier tanks than the other three near me. I don't want to do this because I feel like I'm using the poor fish and I don't want to risk their lives..they're fish too. 2: My mom is a chemistry teacher at ASU and she said she could "make" me some ammonia. I'm kinda warry about this...I might try it tho.

If I go with the second choice, what kind of ammonia do I need, other things, what percentage should the ammonia be dilhouted at etc..?

Definitely do not use the ammonia you purchased. That is ammonium hydroxide. You want ammonium chloride. ;)

If your mother can garauntee that the ammonia she makes is 100% ammonium chloride (NOT ammoniam hydroxide), then that would be just fine. You just add enough to get the desired ppm's of ammonia each day.

Hope this helps! :D

I also saw it at nnnnnn this weekend. I was shocked. I bought mine at kroger. No surfectant. Good luck! I looked for a couple of weeks.

Do you want me to send you some? It only takes a teeny bit.

Lol... I was prety upset last night, but now I think this whole thing is rather funny. Why can't I find this stuf??? I'm like laughing right now!

I'll ask my mom if she can make sure its ammonium chloride, not hydroxide. (Hey look I'm learning even more chemisty...she'll be proud) What percentage should it be dilhouted at?

Akk, I'd love to get some ammonia from you but I don't think its possible! I'm not even supposed to be on this site because I am "talking to strangers" I have actually given my address out a few times to get emergency meds and stuff, and all of that has just been barely sneeked by. I already promised my boyfriend I wouldn't give out my address to others without parents permission anymore, and I don't have anyone that could receive it for me. I am already trying to get a few filters from smack, and maybe some driftwood and fake plants from bigredandblindwilly....I'm not quite sure how I'll get it to work! Thanks a bunch anyways tho. It better not be at the nnnnnn here...my parents will absolutely refuse to take me there. (man I should have gotten my liscense last year...at least a permit)

Hopefully this will all work out, I really don't want to risk the live fishies. Its too much stress and testing supplies anyways. I've had enough fishy stress lately and I'm trying to save money here :)

Hey, I haven't been able to find it locally for a loooong time now. AND I'm almost out of what I have too..... :unsure:

You can easily tell how much of the crystals you need to add to reap a certain ppm in your tanks and bins. Just add very small amounts (record each addition) until you reach your desired ppm. Once you do that, add up the total amount of crystals you added and that will the exactly how much you need to add for that amount of water. You can add/subtract from there to figure out other amounts of water too.

Paul

Man - that is crazy! Ammonia is a staple that every home should never be without!

Could it be that they are restricting it for "terrorist" reasons? Ammonia is a very useful component in the construction of various nasties.....

But what would I ever do without ammonia to clean things with and cycle tanks with and all. Perhaps I should go stash a gallon or three for the future.....

:yikes

When I was researching this thread I came across a person who used the "renewable" sourse of ammonia in her tanks (it's a bit out there but assuming you're not sick it doesn't have any nast bacteria in it)......

URINE! :blink: Yup she added her own pee to her tanks. I can find the link if you want me to (She did also say that her friends think she's nuts though...but it is up to you)

:D

You know, that would actually work. Not sure about any residual effects on the tankwater and the fish but it certainly would be a source of the right kind of ammonia. Hmmmmm..... :blink:

Well, I guess you could always try feeding it fish food. You just add a good pinch of pellets and let them float around and do their thing (rot) and within a day or two, they begin releaseing ammonia. In fact, use food that is high in protien. High protien foods release more ammonia than algae or vegetative foods.

Paul

Actually, Kissy, if you re-read my advice above, you'll find that it will be useless to try and cycle something without a filter. There is no realistic way to do it. Besides, the material in your filter that you have running, on the cycled tank, contains more than enough bacteria to seed a new tank once you actually get a filter.

In short, I am sorry, you will be wasting your time. But, its up to you. :huh:

Lol...I am really sorry for confusing everyone. I'm confusing myself too. I have two similar topics going on, and I can't figure out where I already said what. As for cycling, I'm not going to try and cycle the rubbermaid without a filter. I'm going to go ahead and cycle the 29 gallon w/filter with fish flakes. If I don't get the filters from smack by the time it is finished, I'll just use that as the quarentine tank. If I get the filters some place in the middle, I can steal some biobugs from there and speed up cyclin on the rubbermaid.

I'm not gonna try and cycle the tank without a filter, I figured it was useless somewhere in the middle of my topic...I can't find where tho. I don't really want to waste my time either :)

Thats all good.

If you are going to get new fish to add to the 29 gallon, then you can eaily use it as the Q-tank. Since it AND the fish will be new, it works out fine..... ;)

Good luck! :D

Archived