I See Black!

Not on my fish, but on my ornaments. This isn't about my fish so I decided to put it here :) .

I am in the middle of one of my waterchanges and......well, let me explain. For a while now I have been getting gross black spots all over my ornaments. I usually just go to the sink and scrub it off, but it always comes back! Is this normal?

Thanks,

chris :monkey

This is dark brown or black algae. It is not as healthy and algae as the bright green stuff - and the fish will not eat it. It is most annoying and ugly to look at, I think.

When I increased the illumination in all my tanks - I went to full spectrum bulbs, my brown algae want to soft, fuzzy green stuff that the fish love to eat!

I had green water for a bit... but I lectured my brothers on not leaving the tank light on all the time, and it went away. :) Now I'm started to get a nice speckling of green algae on my rocks, which are a nice medium blue color, so it looks fantastic.

Good luck with the black stuff, though... it's not nearly as pretty. :)

Ya the black or brown algea is annoying. I get some time to time.

Also i if you really want green algea instead you can get some Liquid

CO2 and light ... . that should help.

I only get green algea in my tropical tank , and outside in the rubbermaid.

There's such a thing as liquid CO2? Cool! can I use that for my plants?

Not trying to 'jack you, but I am glad you posted this about black spots - now I will know what to do if I get brown algae. Good luck converting it! :D

Archived