Oranda Being Bullied

Guest sarnold

Guest sarnold

Hope someone can help - I have an Oranda, a Fantail (i think, rescued it from a stall here in HK and it looks like a fantail but one side of its split tail has not developed more than a small bit), as well as a pleco. All have been living campatibily for a year with a third goldfish. I recently moved the third fish to a friend's larger tank as it was getting to big for mine. The fantail has always been a bully to any fish introduced but the large one kept it in check. Since i moved it away the fantail has been chasing the oranda - mostly during feeding time. Now the oranda is losing scales and has reddish colouring around its tail and pectoral fins. What can I do to ease the tension? Also, I was going to add salt to help with the healing of the red spots but the pleco needs a salt free environment. Any suggestions?

could you tell us the size of the tank and how much water it holds.

goldfish can get territorial if the tank is too small or you might have a fish thats very dominant.

Gee, that poor Oranda is getting the starch beat out of it!

Like Sandy said we need more info on the tank & living arrangements for these two fishies!

Depending on your size of tank, you can either make or buy a divider at a store, but tank size could very well be an issue.

Post back soon!

Guest sarnold

I don't have a tradtional tank for my goldfish. It is an asian water bowl which is basically a wooden kind of mini pond. It is round and has rounded edges and is, therefore, sometimes difficult to attach things to. It is smaller than it should be, I know, but I have done the best I can to make it healthy for them . It is about 13 gallons with pond stones and plants. I have quite a good filtration system on it and the fish have never been sick in the couple of years i've had them.

I've been doing some more obs on them. It is difficult to see as you can only look in from the top, but they seem to get along well most of the time - it is really only feeding that Kong(the fantail) starts to chase Toque. He doesn't run into her or bite, but just seems to constantly follow. The red mark at the base of Toque's tail is actually a little patch of new orange scales. She is so white it is difficult to tell if she is losing more scales. Let me know what you think. Could the scale loss be due to anything else?

sclae loos could be due to licking and rubbing. usually they do this when there is high ammonia levels in the tank (or pond). do you have and water testing kits? if so, it would be helpful if you could post them up. :)

Test kit readings will help you determine the problem. A 13 gal, as you already know, is a little too small. The ammonia might be too high with both the fish, so posting a test result or getting a test kit will definatly help.

If it happens only at feeding time, do you think maybe Kong is just following Toque hopping to get more food? Does he seem like he's actually chasing her or just following? You mentioned Kong was a male and Toque was female. It could be spawning behavior; has the weather gotton warmer or have you done a water change recently that could have introduced warmer water, which encourages them to spawn? There is a spawing video in the Breeding section, and I would go look at it and see if it's similar to what your fish are doing.

Post back soon.

Guest sarnold

i don't currently have a test kit - i'm going to get one this weekend and will post results. i looked at the spawning video and that is exactly what the behaviour looks like. i hesitate to think it is that because i don't actually know their sexes for some reason we just refer to them as male and female so i may have written him or her. i've tried to sex them but i still don't know. also, although the weather is very hot here now and the flat is hot during the day the air con at night cools it down - i'm not sure if such fluctuations in temp would led to breeding. third, Kong has always been aggressive, in fact, when we rescued Kong he was with another fish adn they were much smaller(Hong) but he just would not leave it alone and eventually Hong was no more.

i have noticed a few more things that concern me with toque. while i always watch my fish alot they haven't been sick ever before and therefore, these small details may have always existed but i had have no cause to inspect so closely.

toques tail is opauqe white and i have noticed i can see some very, thin blood line - perhaps it is just being able to see her veins through the skin?

also she seems to have some white bumps on her tail - it doesn't look like ich (my tetras were afflicted once) but i haven't seen anything else discribed like them.

anyways, i'll get back with my test results soon.

i just realized there is a disease forum where i should have been posting this - sorry!

That's okay, because it's also breeding/bullying problems.

Red veins are more prominant in white fish, but if you just noticed them, that could be a result of too much ammonia in the water. I would change a couple of gallons for them. Bullying can be a result of a change in water quality, and breeding behavior can be triggered by warmer water/temps. If you feel she is being bullyied too much, I would make/get a divider, or something to seperate them, or move her into another container. If you move her, you will need to keep a close eye on the water quality because you'll be starting the cycle again.

If the 'white bumps' look kind of like kinks in her tail that are white, it could jsut be fin breakage. The fin's material sometimes breaks and this could be a result of the spawning/bullying. If this is what it is, it is harmless, and it will heal but may have a slight dent.

Hope some of this helped!

Archived