New Here Also 10 Gallon Advice Please :)

Guest 2 lil fancies

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hiya all,

hope you don't mind me posting.

I'm evicting 2 fancy goldfish from their ten gallon tank into a new bigger home and am looking at maybe getting some tropicals to go in the empty 10 gallon.

Never kept them before so i've been asking round various pet shops for advice.

The most reasonable answer i got was

2 catfish (grow to 5cm max)

4 zebra danios

and two mollies.

Does this sound ok or is it too overcrowded?

Can anyone advise me any different?

Many thanks

T

Hi there :)

I'm no expert, but I've heard from several places that mollies need a lot of space. I've also read that the Zebra Danios are fast swimmers and like to have a large swimming area.

Somebody else could probably give better advice though. I'm sort of new to tropical also and all of the info I have has been gathered from several websites and the wonderful people on this message board *hugs board* :)

Good luck with the tropicals!

Hi there....of course we don't mind you posting, thats how ya learn!! :D

Mollies are what we had when I was growing up and they were in a 55Gal tank......Don't know for sure if they had to be but thats what mom had them in with a few other fish and some oscars.

I do know that they can grow up to be a good sized fish so I guess my advice would be to upgrade to a bigger tank if you can. 8 fish in a 10gal sounds overcrowed to me, but thats just me. I don't know that much about danio's or catfish?? can't be of much help on that

one.... :huh:

Have you gave any thought to a Betta? Good luck with your tropies.....whatever you do end up getting.....

:D Post back soon and let us all know...... :exactly

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hi,

thanks for the replies :)

I thought that might be the case :S The pet shop staff round here seem to know woefully little stuff!

Mmmm, we're quite taken with the little catfish so i think they're a definate. you have to be carefull with the betta's don't you?

If i went for 3 of the 5cm catfish, woul we be able to have a couple of other smalls with them? Any suggestions?

Thanks again......i want to make sure we get it all right before we buy them and then struggle

(btw, we will be upgrading the tank within 6 months but i haven't told my other half that yet lol.....to about 20gallons, same as the goldies will have)

Thanks

T

Well I think your safe with the catfish then, if indeed they are only gonna grow to be 5cm max.

Yea bettas can be sorta trickey sometimes in my opnion, but not too bad and they are pretty fish too..... :wub:

Well I think a few more smaller dudes would be fine if they are moving into a 20 gal. So you are moving your goldies to a 20 and then getting the new clan a 20 also....Is that correct?

Off the top of my head I am not for sure on what would do well with the catfish?...maybe 1 mollie? or a water loach...Can't be postive on that one.

Thats all I can think of right now. you'll have to excuse me it's late!!....LOL

Keep us posted..... B)

Guest 2 lil fancies

Thank you :)

It's early morning over here lol!

And yeah, i will have 2 20 gallons in the end :)

Thanks for your advice

Trisha

In one of my topics I started, I asked about a few other tropicals if my last little guppy doesn't make it. It sounded like a few cory catfish would do okay in a 10 gallon. I think it was Kissy that said something about having some black neon tetras with hers but I don't remember. You might check back through over some of the other topics :)

Good luck :)

Guest 2 lil fancies

mmm thanks :)

interesting stuff

so after a quick rethink

i'm thinking

3 catfish and

4 tiny tetras such as neons or bloodfins (i think)

until i get a bigger tank.

Does this sound ok?

which do i introduce first?

Thanks

T

Yep I am going to be getting 6 black neon tetras and three cories. I've got a ten gallon too, but I'm going to replace my cheap little topfin filter with a 150 aquaclear, so I will definately have enough filtration and aeration for all my little guys. I think you'd like cories, have you seen them? They are like mini catfish, VERY cute, have little barbels on their mouths, and are schooling fish. They do best in groups of at least three :)

Oh and the tetras will do okay in a group of four, but at least six is best :) What kind are you looking for?

In my ten gallon tropical I am overstocked. I have 4 black neon tetras, 2 congo tetras, 1 flame tetra, 6 zebra danios, 1 red male betta, and 4 cory cats. i do 50% water changes once a week. Water is crystal clear and tank has been running for a long time. My cory cats has been with me for over 4 years. You just have to keep checking your water parameters. So far so good, knock on wood. Eight small fish in a 10 gal. is not overstocked to me. All I am saying is it can be done.

As others have said, corydoras catfish are adorable. I have found the hardiest to be peppered and bronze (the albino ones are a variation on the bronze).

I also like white cloud mountain minnows or harlequin rasboras :) They both like to be kept in a small group of at least 4.

If you go with peppered or bronze corys & white clouds, you really don't need a heater unless your house gets very cold in winter. Both bronze and peppered corys come from cooler waters naturally than some of the other corydoras :)

Also, with good filtration and maintenance, I would say that you could keep a group of 6 white clouds with 3 corydoras, since white clouds are not bulky fish, JMO :D .

Guest 2 lil fancies

wow!

Cheers :)

I have a VERY warm house all year round so that's cool :)

white clouds and cory's it is by the looks of it. And I'll check out that pump.

You guys are stars thank you :)

Right, technical question now.

My plan is to move the gold fish into their new home like this

50 % water change with at least part of the removed 50 % going in to the new tank...then i'll fill that with treated water, some of the old gravel and plants. Once it's ready i'll scoot the fancies across.

Will the tropicals be ok going straight into the goldfish's old tank set up (with 50% of their water) and the rest fresh, and the some of the goldfishes' gravel and plants?

Also, how do i introduce the new fish to the water?

clouds first? then the cory's a couple of weeks later?Or the otherway round?

Thanks very very much :)

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hiya!

Ok just looking at the filters...i have nightmares about these after a tiny one was two powerful for my first fancy and killed him one night :(

The aquaclear mini does about 124l an hour compared to the 150 that does 189l an hour

(on full flow control.)

Would i be ok with the mini?

Also, does anyone know if i can get them in the uk haha :)

If your old tank was cycled by the goldfish and you are using the same filter, etc., then you can add the fish all at once. They wouldn't be a greater load than the goldfish.

As for filters, and AquaClear mini would be fine for a 10 gallon tank with tropicals and I would use an AquaClear 200 on a 20 gallon tank with goldfish.

Guest 2 lil fancies

Hiya,

thanks

no, i haven't bought it yet.

Just making sure i know what i'm doing before i buy the tropicals so i don't make the same mistake as i did with my goldies (a 17 litre tank :S)

The first two died coz i had no idea and the pet shop weren't any more helpful...then we bought the 10 gallon thinking it would be fine :S

Won't be messing up again...everyone thinks i'm mad wanting a bigger tank for the goldies lmao :P

T

The only thing I'd advise is to make sure your new 20 gallon is cycled before you put the goldfish in there, if you don't there could be trouble. A fishless cycle is easiest to do, here's some info if you need it: http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/FishlessCycle.html I'm going to start a fishless cycle too! I never found the right kind of ammonia around here, so I'm going to try and use fish flakes to get the job done. You can jump start the cycle by taking out the filter media from your 10 gallon filter and swishing/banging it around in the bigger tank. Some bio-bugs will be transferred and the cycling process will be much faster, and you'll still have enough for your 10 gallon :)

I would suggest using some of the filter material from your established filter in your new filter when you start your new tank. This will rapidly seed your new filter. I do this all the time when starting new filters and it works great.

Also use some gravel from the established tank :)

Archived